dynamox
6 Gallium

XtremIO to XtremIO migration options

Hi,

Let's take all host based options off the table (LVM, PPME, ASM, OM, Backup/Restore ..etc).  Let's pretend that my entire environment consists of two XtremIO arrays and that's it. No RecoverPoint, no VPLEX ..no nothing.  I need to migrate a physical server from one XtremIO to another, what are my options ?  Could i use vRPA since my iSCSI ports are not in-use ?  Again this is for migration only, not for continues replication.

Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
echolaughmk
3 Silver

Re: XtremIO to XtremIO migration options

Hi dynamox,

I initially asked about vRPA's when the RP/XtremIO solution was released and was informed it was not supported with iSCSI back to the the XtremIO's. That was about 2 months ago and not sure if the stance has changed. With that being said, it could just be an RPQ route now. I would suggest to post this query in the RP ECN space as those CSE's will be able to field the question and any follow-up that can be discussed.

In your situation, I have had to deal with that a couple times and utilize host-based methods all but once (where the customer had physical RP running and it was a CDP copy).

HTH,

-Keith

Avi3
3 Silver

vRPAs are not supported with XtremIO. There is no way to configure storage using IP.

dynamox
6 Gallium

Thanks Avi, so what are my options then ?   You guys are taking your sweet time with native replication.

0 Kudos
LVLAaron1
1 Copper

Sounds like there are no options unless you go host based.

I also do not believe native replication is planned; that's what RP is for.

0 Kudos
Avi3
3 Silver

I cannot really comment on the roadmap items in this forum, but at this time the host based options are the only ones available (for the scenario mentioned above).

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

host based is not an option and if native is not planned your competitor  in orange socks will continue to eat your lunch.

0 Kudos
Avi3
3 Silver

What's your concern with a RecoverPoint based replication?

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

investment $$$ into infrastructure that i don't have.

0 Kudos
LVLAaron1
1 Copper

>investment $$$ into infrastructure that i don't have.

That's a concept that EMC chooses to not understand.

0 Kudos