brettesinclair
3 Silver

Re: XtremIO to XtremIO migration options

I am inclined to agree here, and was just discussing this with our new XtremIO area rep on Friday.

Native, simple, point to point replication is now something that just needs to be inherent in a product, not an add on.

As much as I love RecoverPoint, in many scenarios it's overkill

0 Kudos
LVLAaron1
1 Copper

You're already spending a ton of money on the most expensive price/tb array on the market; asking someone to spend another 100k+ to add RP blows my mind.

0 Kudos
jgebhart1
1 Nickel

When we purchased XtremIO, we looked at it and RecoverPoint as a single solution because the ability to replicate the data was an absolute requirement - if we were buying XtremIO, we were also buying RecoverPoint as that is the preferred replication method... and the price was still lower than some of the competition.

I've had enough bad experiences with array-to-array replication systems from other vendors that, while skeptical about the added complexity, it was intriguing. Now, I'm very happy to be using RecoverPoint and it really doesn't add much complexity. It's basically just another host that has read access to your XtremIO LUNs and replicates snapshot deltas over an IP network. It works very well and isn't all that expensive compared to the cost of the array. Unisphere for RecoverPoint is quite easy to use, plus it has a CLI and REST API for those who work with it enough that using a GUI would be time consuming/cumbersome.

EMC has multiple solutions to replicate the data - if you don't like any of them or they won't work for you for some reason, you probably bought the wrong array, because as it has been pointed out, there are other vendors who do exactly what you want.

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

you are missing the point, yes i can put XtremIO behind VMAX and use the best replication technology EMC has to offer in SRDF, I can do VPLEX, i can do many things .  At this price point solution needs to have native replication.

0 Kudos
jgebhart1
1 Nickel

You don't have to put it behind VMAX or VPLEX or anything else... all you need to do is buy a complete solution. Whether that means buying a product from an orange vendor that has array-to-array replication built into the array or just buying a complete XtremIO + RecoverPoint solution to allow you to replicate data outside of the array. If replication was not a requirement for you when you purchased XtremIO, you can hardly be justified in getting upset about the absence of it.

If I bought a new Cadillac for $60,000 and then decided I needed to tow an 11,000 pound trailer, can I really be upset that I can't tow it with my Cadillac simply because a $50,000 Ford F-150 can tow a 12,000 pound trailer and I didn't think to specify that the ability to tow an 11,000 pound trailer was a requirement for my new vehicle?

0 Kudos
LVLAaron1
1 Copper

You're not wrong, but you must also understand the spirit of the frustration this causes people.

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

apples and oranges, i am asking for integrated functionality and willing to pay for it.  You don't have to haul a trailer with Bose sound system in it, it's built-in into your Caddi and you paid extra for that upgrade.

0 Kudos
Avi3
3 Silver

Those are two different ways of providing the replication functionality – one is based on an external appliance and the other is a native feature running on the storage array itself. There are pros and cons of both the approaches and there are customers who see the value in either or both of those replication methodologies.

The features that we deliver for the product is a function of relative priorities and we would be more than happy to share our thoughts and future plans with you, as needed. Of course, that cannot happen in a public forum like this one. Please work with your EMC account teams to get more details on this.

As always, please keep the feedback and comments coming.

0 Kudos
brettesinclair
3 Silver

It's not a criticism, it's just reality. People's needs change over time and it's right to expect that on premium products, feature parity with competitors will be maintained. In many areas XtremIO is indeed the leader.

EMC should (and do mostly in my experience) take this sort of customer feedback on board, it's the sort of data/insight that can help them stay ahead of the pack.

0 Kudos