RE: Upgrade Alienware X51 power supply
You are likely just on the edge of capabilities of that tiny case (cooling) and laptop-like power-supply (power... 330w max isn't it?).
If you search forum, you can see example of gamers (with hardware mod skills) moving components to mini-atx case. They also (wisely) can then use a conventional desktop power-supply (in the 650-850w range).
Turning off (during max gaming) is usually running out of power.
Slowing down (during max gaming) is usually overheating of GPU and/or even CPU ... throttling back to save itself.
Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.