bolux
2 Bronze

ATI Radeon 7970 OC will not work in Aurora R3

My new ATI Radeon 7970 OC will not work in Aurora R3 nor in my spare Dell machine as previously posted, but does work in a third machine so problem doesn't appear to be with the card. Current card is Nvidia gtx 570. Is there a firmware upgrade that needs to be made or is this card incompatible with this machine. Do I have to use another Nvidia? It has an 875w psu so power shouldn't be the problem. Has anyone else tried the 7970 in an R3?

Thanks in anticipation

0 Kudos

Re: ATI Radeon 7970 OC will not work in Aurora R3

bolux,

The R3 PCIe x16 slot is PCI-Express 2.0. What is the requirement for that 3rd party video card? What is the PCI-Express of the system the card works in?

0 Kudos
bolux
2 Bronze

Gigabyte 7970oc in Aurora R3

I have tried upgrading my Nvidia gtx 570 with a Gigabyte 7979 OC card in an Aurora R3. Nothing happens,except the fans spin,  machine won't even  post or beep. I have double checked all connections and to make matters worse, this is the second card I have tried after returning the first, presuming DOA.

Tried in my spare machine and no go either. What are the odds of two faulty cards? Am I missing something. The fans will rotate but nothing else. I have taken all the normal precautions and have done this many times before with no problems. 875 watt psu, 2600k cpu, intel ssd boot 8gbs ram. Any ideas welcome.

0 Kudos
AAA737flyer
4 Germanium

Re: Gigabyte 7970oc in Aurora R3

Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

I wonder if you hooked up the power leads to the new card correctly.

Your current card uses two 6 pin connectors. The new ATI card uses one 6 pin and one 8 pin connector. The extra two pins are on a separate line associated with the appropriate 6 pin connector.

Just a thought.

0 Kudos

AAA737flyer,

Are you thinking the Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 is backward compatible to our PCI-Express 2.0 slot?

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

My new ATI Radeon 7970 OC

- will not work in Aurora R3

- nor (will it work) in my spare Dell machine

... but does work in a third machine so problem doesn't appear to be with the card.

This logic seems flawed.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Are you thinking the Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 is backward compatible to our PCI-Express 2.0 slot?

PCI-Express v3.0 x16 is backward compatible to PCI-Express v2.0 x16 slot. It's part of the spec (that's why the slot in the same).

However, that doesn't guarantee all cards work on all motherboards.

Heck, we have seen PCI-Express v2.0 x16 video cards that don't work in true PCI-Express v2.0 x16 slots. Just good old compatibility problems that require an update on one side or the other. Can also be a system problem (beyond the card) or one or more parts are slightly damaged or out-of-spec.

- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

The new ATI card uses one 6 pin and one 8 pin connector.

Try with a power connector from each wire set at the same time.
Meaning, use either P14 OR P15
and also
either P16 OR P17

... that should enable as many "rails" as possible for this high-power card.

0 Kudos
bolux
2 Bronze

Thanks for responding. The 7970 is a pci-e 3.0, but 3.0 is backwards compatible. That's the spec requirement I belive.

0 Kudos
bolux
2 Bronze

Thanks for the respose. I  agree it's not logical for it to work in the 3rd machine but it does, and in a pci-e 2.0 slot. Maybe my Vostro has a different compatibility issue, so it's not helping to isolate the cause in the Aurora.

0 Kudos