purple397
2 Iron

RE: Windows 10, Memory leaks, solved, Alienware 17-R3

Hi,  I can understand your frustration.  Uh,  Did you say you went a week without rebooting?    Windows 10 is surely better about memory leak than say Windows 98.  Every time I hear 'memory leak' I do a double clutch, it is a poor description of what is happening.   It really refers to the OS not recovering memory that it previously used, and is not currently using and memory is not returned to the pool of available memory.   In the really old days of computers, We called the programs that did that "Garbage Collection."  M$ was correct in not implementing garbage collection in Windows 98, as it would cause the machine response to die.   In effect, whatever 'Garbage Collection" that needed would be accomplished by rebooting the computer.  In effect, when an office employee went to lunch, they should have automatically do a full power off, power on restart of their computer.  

I am not just recollecting, I am trying to give a context to this issue.  When I got my Apple Mac Book Pro in 2009, I had a discussion on this same issue with the MBP.   The trainer, said, taking the advice of the Geniuses (apple-speak for technical support people)  said that they never closed the cover of the machine without powering it off.   While the OS X was supposed to do that kind of thing without a hitch, it sometimes lost bits here and there.  Just knowing what was involved with the hardware caused them power the machine off and back on, rather than using save features, or letting it just lie around awhile and letting it idle-power save mode on its own.  

There is also the possibility of turning off as many programs on the start up list.  Not using a lot of programs at one time to stay out of using virtual memory.   Also, Mac OS X did a better job of recovering memory that previously had been in use. 

Bottom line.  Restart your machine every so often.  Don't let this power save features or just closing the lid to extend times between times of completely restarting the machine.   Look not at the task manager for what you can stop, but the large programs you are trying to run at the same time.   If you were doing something like video editing (a lot of memory) and you want to start doing something else memory intensive;  Power down the machine, and power it back on.  

Look at any back up programs, like the Windows file save, or cloud program that might be accumulating things to back up.  Not that backup is bad, just it can be a problem with limited memory.  

0 Kudos