7 Plutonium

Re: Alienware Aurora R7 Replacing HDD with SSD

Cloning a drive used to be iffy.  Newer cloning software is much better.  I've used the free (and popular) Macrium Reflect V7 to clone several drives (both SSD and conventional) and have not had any problems. 

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Use Macrium Reflect to create a bootable "rescue" flash drive.   Connect the new SSD to a spare port in the PC. 

Boot with the Macrium flash drive, and then select the option to "Clone this disk" for the hard drive and then select the SSD as the destination for the clone. After completion, disconnect and remove the hard drive and install the SSD in its slot (you may need an adapter if there are no mounting holes for the SSD).

If the cloning fails, then you will have to use the disc image function to backup the entire hard drive (all partitions) to a separate drive.  Then use Macrium to "restore" to the new SSD.  

I didn't post any screenshots/pictures of the procedure as this new forum (recent change) has an issue with posting graphics.  Only the person that posts it can see it.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos