jphughan
5 Rhenium

Re: Alienware 15R3 SSD upgrade

If you have dual M.2 slots, then yes you can have an M.2 NVMe SSD, M.2 SATA SSD, and 2.5” hard drive (or SSD) all at the same time, although I’m not sure why you would want this. A 128GB SSD is pretty small by today’s standards and will be much slower than an NVMe SSD, so I personally would just buy an NVMe SSD with enough capacity that I wouldn’t need the 128GB SSD anymore and then just replace it with the new SSD rather than keeping both.

Samsung does have a data migration utility. I haven’t used it personally, but I’ve read good things, and yes it is essentially cloning. For that part I actually WOULD recommend having both SSDs installed simultaneously for simplicity, otherwise you’d have to capture an image of the existing SSD to somewhere, then swap the SSDs and restore that image to the new one. The end result is the same, but it requires an extra step. Macrium Reflect Free is also a popular imaging/cloning option if you have trouble with the Samsung tool.

Yes, the 970 Evo is compatible with the AW 15 R3 because that system supports NVMe SSDs.

0 Kudos