DarkWorks
1 Nickel

Re: Never again will I buy Alienware/dell products

I too am sorry about your experience. I have had Alienware Desktops and laptops for an average of ten-year longevity. I have a laptop still serving another family going on 12 years now. I have an Alienware 17xR4 loaded to the gills. Now there is a way to check why your unit is over-heating. One is simply removing the bottom very carefully as it is pressure fitted once all the screws with the exception of the top middle one. It isn't design to come out completely. It has a clip to prevent. Just unloosen this. Do I need to mention that this unit should be unplugged and all cords removed?

Now look at the CPU Fan and the Graphics GPU Fan(s). There can be dust accumulated in and through the heat expansion grids. Use a vacuum cleaner to remove the dust and debris in the usual opposite direction to unclog these vents. After cleaning and using a brush with the vacuum to remove any heavy debris on the fans themselves, then run air from the outside inwards through the van while using the vacuum. Use the air to dust out everything under the hood. Then replace your bottom plate. Remember this plate is pressure fitted and should snap down in given areas by hand first. Once the bottom is seated firmly then add your screws. First tighten the top middle one, then added the lower left and lower right. Then the top right and top left. Then put in the middle right and middle left. Ensure all screws are firmly tight at that point before continuing. 

Turn on your laptop and access your BIOS. Find your "Performance Setting." Set your fan performance to high. Your fans will run at top speed. Also check your CPU performance here and set it to high as well. Now what we want to do is punish this laptop through extreme gaming or application usage for an hour. If everything is running fine and the fans are loud but cool, then shut the machine down, enter your BIOS and set your fan performance to the normal position. Reboot the machine, the fans will slow down considerably. Also check your performance settings in Windows. Find the "High Performance" setting usually under the Screen Saver stuff. Double check your setting to whatever you prefer. When you get to the CPU Min and Max you will notice a cooling setting. You should have Active and passive. Set your setting to "Active." I run mine on "passive" since I am not a gamer and never have a problem with my machine getting warm in spite of the twin GTX 1080 ti cards. I do video and graphic works. Never a problem.

This should help you just fine. Remember to do this cleaning about once a year unless you have cats and pets or live in a dusty place. Then about every 6 to 8 months.