Satiria
1 Copper

CD-Rom drive won't read mini CDs

Background info:
Have a dimension 2300 which is a few years old.  Recently upgraded the internal Hard Drive from Dell's 30Gb to a Seagate 80Gb after having problems reformatting the Dell HD (something kept giving me the blue screen of death so I decided to wipe it clean and start again).  Had to reinstall the Operating System, Applications, Drivers, etc.

ANYWAY...since reinstalling the OS, etc., my CD-Rom drive  (HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B) will not read mini (8cm) CD-R disks.  It NEVER had a problem reading these disks before I reformatting and reinstalled everything.  I used to be able to pop a mini CD (which is the media that my Sony digital camera uses) into the deeper, middle well of the CD-Rom tray/drive, close it up, and the AutoPlay function would kick in and ask the usual questions of "Do you want to display pictures" etc.  NOW, the AutoPlay still kicks in, but sees the disk as Blank, and you can tell/hear that the disk is not spinning.  The disks are definately not blank - I can put the mini disk back into my camera and view the pictures with no problem.  I attempted to use the 8cm mini CD adapter that came with the Sony camera (and makes the mini disk the size of a normal CD), but it still thinks the disk is blank and won't read it. 

There is probably a setting on the CD-Rom drive, but I am unable to find it.  I've checked the Device properties, etc., and unless I'm overlooking something, I don't see a way to change the type/size media that the CD-Rom will read.  There may be a setting in the BIOS, but that's unfamiliar territory for me.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I would be eternally grateful.

Satiria
0 Kudos