RE: Running out of space on 32 GB SSD Inspiron 3050

That's a possibility if I can find any M2 SSD's that actually are guaranteed to work. Crucial doesn't seem to offer any by application for 3050. A Google search brings up a lot of users wanting to do the same but none have solid recommendations.

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

The specs say the stock SSD is an m.2 SATA drive, 3 Gbps, and the motherboard has a NGF_SSD (next generation form SSD) slot.

Beyond that I can't help...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos

Yes, from what I found its a Sata 3 M.2 2242 (22mm x42mm) card most of the time. However I did read some did use a 2.5 SSD in some production sequence. I did find a 64 Gb Transcend for $35 on Amazon and Newegg has one for $60 that is 128. Is some question about capacity some say 128 Gb max others have 256 Gb with no problem.

0 Kudos
LauraLove
1 Copper

I have noticed that there never seems to be ANY definative answers regarding upgrading or expanding your current system ... which makes you wonder.

Well I own an Optiplex which states in the manual the max ram is 16gb when in fact it is 32gb, and the same for the ssd, the manual would lead you to believe 128gb max but I have a 250gb ssd installed working fine and have no reason to believe why it wouldnt quite happily run with a 500gb/1tb/2tb ssd.

0 Kudos

I think clearly the chipset determines capacity of RAM and as far as storage if it's a compatible storage device I don't see that capacity would matter. I've ordered a 64 bit SSD that should work fine, I don't plan to store a lot of files on the Dell but would rather have more available space for larger Windows 10 updates than a 32 Gb drive allows. Too often you have to use external drive to aid in those updates with a 32 gb drive. I would have bought a bigger drive had it been available. Actually for what I paid and the upgrades I made Ram to 8 gb from 2 gb and SSD upgrade. I still feel the Inspiron 3050 is a nice buy.

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

Glad you found a bigger SSD.  Sounds like 64 GB will work fine for your purposes.

Yes, chipsets make a difference, and times change too. In "olden days", you couldn't use a large HDD because the hardware and Windows couldn't manage that much storage space. You had to partition the drive into smaller logical drives with different drive letters in order to use all the HDD space.  

8 GB RAM modules may not have been available when her system was first manufactured, so 4x 4 GB was probably the max Dell tested and certified 16 GB as max RAM.

Now that 8 GB modules are available at reasonable prices, 32 GB might be possible, but Dell hasn't tested that much RAM in her system. So if it doesn't work correctly / reliably, Dell isn't responsible...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
LeoG2
1 Nickel

I also bought i3050 mini pc. Upgraded ram to 8gb. Also bought Micron M600 2260 M.2 128 gb amd 256 gb. I'm not new to install os, but I can't make it work. I downloaded Dell's windows recovery image and created a bootable USB using Dell OS recovery tool. It goes throw recovery process, but gets stuck on 1st boot at Dell's logo. Also tried to install windows 10 by downloading it from Microsoft website and using their tool to create USB  media and still get stuck on Dell's logo.

I did figure out that one of the partitions was not big enough so had to adjust it, but it still didn't help.

If any dell's employee here in the forum could escalate it, it would be really appreciated. I'm willing to put my time into it to make it work.

0 Kudos

You will have to access bios settings and set them to boot to a USB drive. By default they will not, and you may have to disable Secure Boot to allow this option to show up. I had better luck with the Microsoft creation tool than the Dell Image. Ubuntu has a bit smaller install size than Win 10 and yes it will work fine. No the original drive did not have a hidden restore partition. I bought a 64 Gb drive that worked perfectly from Amazon for $36  A Transcend TS64GMTS400  42mm M.2 drive. Yes, your right the original drive is just too small for Windows 10.

0 Kudos
LeoG2
1 Nickel

The usb drive boots up fine and go throw process. Process does finish, but 1st boot gets stuck. It seems to be only on GPT EUFI

0 Kudos

After Windows 10 installs do you remove the USB drive. If you don't the process of installing Windows 10 begins all over again because the USB is the first drive in boot sequence. May have to reset bios defaults and make sure secure boot is enabled. Could be a bad install maybe drive isn't fully erased. If you tried installing something like Ubuntu you may have corrupted partitions or boot sequence from that. I typically delete all previous partitions through windows install and manually format to clear drive. I've used Windows creation tool many times without issues. Also just a note make sure your using 64 bit not 32 bit OS and same Windows 10 version originally activated.

0 Kudos