XPS 720 Memory Parity error
I put my desktop to sleep last night. When I woke up the PC I got the following blue screen
*** HARDWARE MALFUNCTION
Call your hardware vendor for support
NMI: Parity Check / memory parity Error
*** The system has halted ***
So I powered the PC off, than back on, the PC got to the Windows initial boot-up screen (without any motherboard warning "beeps") than the memory error screen shows up again.
My first thought (of course) is that one of the memory modules (sticks) is bad.
1) Removed and re-seated all four memory sticks (modules) in the same slots. No good.
2) Moved the sticks to different slots. No good.
3) Tried just two of the memory sticks at a time. No good.
4) Checked Bios and I could not find any memory issues there.
5) Removed and re-seated network card, video card, and sound. No good.
In the past I have had issues with the memory, however those issues were corrected after I pulled and re-seated the memory. With regards to those errors I did get the motherboard warning "beeps".
1) If the memory was bad wouldn't the Bios indicate an issue?
2) If the memory was bad would it still be able to boot-up to the Windows screen?
Any assistance would be appreciated.
RE: XPS 720 Memory Parity error
Thanks for writing to us.
When did the issue start? Was there any hardware or software changes done recently?
Have you tried with one memory at a time?
If the memory was bad the system wouldn't boot till the windows screen, right after the Dell Splash screen it will go blank and beep.
What windows version is the machine running on ?
Provide us your system tag#, name and email via private message,by clicking on my name in blue and then select send a private message for records purpose.