StellaIndigo
1 Nickel

dimension 8100 blue screen of death during boot after dell driver / patch update :o(

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 running Windows 2000 Service Pack 4. Everything has been running OK until today. I downloaded and installed the Dell/Intel ATA update (Z0108T10.EXE). The patched installed OK and requested a reboot to continue installation. After the reboot the system started OK and again requested a final reboot to finish the install.

Now my system will not boot. I get the blue screen of death KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED in pfc.sys after the first white on black progress bar shows 100% (the windows logo flicks on screen briefly). The pfc.sys file is pat of my veritas cd/dvd writer installation which has been working fine for over 1 year. I can't boot into any mode Safe/debug etc. Everything gives the BSOD.

I can enter recovery mode from my original installation CD and navigate around the winnt folder. I tried disabling the IntelATA service from starting at boot but this did not help changed BSOD error tp INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE. (IntelATA re-enabled again)

Anyone know how I uninstall, remove the update or repair my system so I can boot to Win2K again?

Thanks in advance Stella.

0 Kudos