mikebeatrice
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

I received mine on Monday.  So far it's worked flawlessly.  I have Premiere CS4 on here and it's eating every AVCHD video I throw at it, which is great because I primarily bought this for high def video editing.

I haven't had any problems with the sound card like other people have EXCEPT... DO NOT LET THE WINDOWS UPDATE DO THE DRIVER UPDATE FOR THE SOUND CARD.... I did... and then I started getting blue screen random crashes... as soon as I restored just prior to the driver update, everything was stable again.

The computer is EXTREMELY quiet.  I can't believe how quiet it is.  I have an Alienware that I bought right when the P4 Extreme HT 800Mhz FSB boards came out and it sounds like a monster next to this thing. (it IS fairly loud, to be fair).  But.. the 730x...right when you power it on, it's the loudest computer I've ever heard... but as soon as it starts to boot and during normal operation.. I just can't get over how quiet it is for how powerful it is.

It's enormous, btw.  I weighed the box when it showed up.  No monitor or speakers.  82.6lbs.  I haven't weighed the PC itself yet.  The case is slightly taller and slightly wider than the big Alienware cases.  It's all metal.. very nice... they took the time to put a plastic protective layer on all of the case that you peel off once it's set up.  Even the metal stability feet that you swing out to keep it from tipping left or right are made out of a pretty good thickness metal.

So far... all headaches aside... I'm happy with my purchase.  The only thing wrong... the mouse was missing.  And Dell is being lackluster on its support for getting me a new one.  But it's a pretty minor complaint, all things considered.

0 Kudos