wadboski
1 Copper

adding ram; anuone noticing effective benefit???

hi gang i'm just about to upgrade my 6 year old delldimension 4600 ram from the OE 512 MG UP TTO 1 GIG MATCHED PAIR CAN ANYONE COMMENT AUTHORITATIVLY ON A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE NOTICING MORE EFFICIENT PERFORMANCE IN SUCH AN UPGRADE? THE MAX I CAN ADD TO A 4600 IS 4 GB WHICH I HAD THOUGHT OF JUMPING UP TO IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS BUT ON DISABILITY YOU HAVE TO PICK YOUR BATTLES SO I'VE ELECTED TO DO THE MOVE IN A 2 TIEWRED ATTACK FIRST UP GOING FROM 512MB TO 1GB. SO... COMMENTS? AND IS IT POSSIBLE TO UPGRADE THE RAM CONSIGNED TO MY ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT INTELEXTREME GRAPHICS CONTROLLER?

CHEERS

BILLY

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Re: adding ram; anuone noticing effective benefit???

Welcome to the forums Billy emoticon.Yes.title

Every little helps... but you probably won't notice much of a difference - if any at all with an extra 512MB?

RAM is so cheap just now, I'd suggest you get 2GB (2x 1GB), then you should notice a difference emoticon.Idea.title

Unfortunately however, you can't allocate more to your graphics.  Leave Windows to handle that.

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

8 Krypton

Using XP, I have gone from 512 MB to 1 GB on a 4600 and noticed no difference for general web browsing, word processing, etc.  But I did not do any graphics or video intensive applications, nor do I have more than 1 or 2 windows open at a time with that computer.  On others I have gone from 1 to 2 or more GB and seen no difference, again with XP.  For Vista, 2 GB is right, but with XP it is overkill for most users. 

http://crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension%204600

8 Krypton

wadboski  

As you have intergrated graphics, upgrading the RAM should make difference, as 32/64mb of the system memory is allocated for the intergrated graphics.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell