Muire
1 Copper

Dell Studio 540 seems to have "died"

Hello,

my computer seems to have died -- for lack of a better word. I left it in perfect working order on Friday, and when I came back yesterday it didn't respond. My computer is a Dell Studio 540 desktop computer which is almost brand new.

I have been having a look at it, and here's the best I can come up with to describe the problem:

1) When I attempt to power it up, it either

a) Doesn't respond

b) Has a brief flicker of activity, and goes to a)

I have checked the light on the PSU (behind the computer); whenever I manage to get it to be on (usually, by unplugging and re-plugging the power cable) I get b), after which the light turns off (ergo, the PSU isn't getting any power, or isn't working, anyhow).

I called tech support earlier this morning but they weren't much help at all. I can't afford to wait for them to take my computer away and bring it back a week or so later because of my work, so I'd like to attempt to fix this myself, having a modicum of experience in fiddling with the internal components of my computers (no real knowledge, just enough not to blow the thing up!  :P)

I would be extremely grateful if someone could help me out on this issue. Sorry if my description isn't all that complete, there just isn't much more to it! However, I will perform any tests/check anything in the interest of a better diagnosis.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos