illegalluggage
1 Copper

Dell Dimension 4700 CPU upgrade

Hi, I have a dell dimension 4700 and im looking to upgrade my cpu. Inside currently is the pentium 4 530 (LGA 775). Im looking to get the 550 which is rated at 3.4ghz but could I go higher and would this cause heat issues? And one last thing the fan in the green shroud at the back of the case is blowing in, is this normal as my case is warm to the touch?

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Re: Dell Dimension 4700 CPU upgrade

illegalluggage

There is THIS discussion about the orientation of the Dimension 4700 case fan, the posts by Carl4286 should be of interest to you.

Personally I would think that a case should discharge out of the case, but the 4700 had two different types of fans and shrouds installed, one discharging out the case and the other type, pulling air into the case.

You would need to check which type of green plastic shroud was install in your 4700.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
illegalluggage
1 Copper

Ok thanks i'll take a look

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

illegalluggage

emoticon.Yes.title

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
salvia
1 Nickel

The Dimension 4700 uses the Intel 915G Express Chipset therefore it should support most if not all of these CPUs under Compatible Products, provided the BIOS has the CPU microcode for the new CPU.

Intel CPU microcode  this tool to extract the CPU microcodes from microcode.dat

jj

0F29

0F25

0Fkopkopkopkopkopkop

0F30

0F31

0F

0F33

0F37

0F34

0F41

0F49

0F60

0F61

0F62

0F43
        ydgdfg
        0F4A

0 Kudos
        jz1jz1
        1 Copper

@salvia-  I have the sl96h which is not on the list. I have downloaded microcode you suggested but cannot figure out how to use it.  Could you add more detailed steps please? Thanks

0 Kudos
        jz1jz1
        1 Copper

@salvia-  I have the sl96h which is not on the list. I have downloaded microcode you suggested but cannot figure out how to use it.  Could you add more detailed steps please? Thanks

0 Kudos
        Jaxom5
        2 Iron

illegalluggage

I purchased a P4 670, Sspec SL7Z3, running @ 3.8 GHz, L2 cache of 2MB. I had already upgraded to the A10 BIOS a while back so when I put the 670 in, reapplying Thermal paste to both processor and heatsink, my 4700 fired right up and has not given any problems. I had also reversed the fan last year and that cooled the case temp down alot.

0 Kudos
        jz1jz1
        1 Copper

SL7Z3 is 0F43h, see above list - of course A10 will support it. But I have the SL96H which is 0F64 which is not on the list

0 Kudos
        downtimer
        1 Copper

Salvia, can you please give us some clues as to how you modified the cpu microcode in the bios?  What utilities did you use?  Or, even better, could you upload your modified bios to rapidshare or something?  Thanks!!

0 Kudos