msantangelo
1 Copper

Dell Optiplex 7010: 3 Monitor Setup Help

Hello all,

We just received a shipment of Dell Optiplex 7010s with Core i7 3770s @ 3.10 GHz with 16 gigs of RAM and the Intel HD Graphics 4000 chipset.

I am trying to setup 3 monitors, as I had with the old Optiplex 755s and I am having an issue.  All three monitors are detected in Windows and by the Intel configuration utility.  However, when I enable the 3rd display, one of the 3 displays randomly turns off.  As such, I cannot use the 3rd display.

I have 1 Dell E228WFP hooked up via Display Port to DVI, 1 Dell P170S hooked up via Display Port to DVI, and 1 Dell P170S hooked up via VGA.

Has anyone had any luck getting this working?  I have updated to the latest Intel Graphics driver to no luck.

Appreciate any advice you all could give me.

Thanks,

-Mike

0 Kudos
msantangelo
1 Copper

Re: Dell Optiplex 7010: 3 Monitor Setup Help

*bump* Anyone? 😞

0 Kudos
freakmarket
2 Iron

Intel HD 4000 motherboard graphics don't support 3 monitors as far as I know ... only 2

0 Kudos
morblore
4 Ruthenium

Hello all,

We just received a shipment of Dell Optiplex 7010s with Core i7 3770s @ 3.10 GHz with 16 gigs of RAM and the Intel HD Graphics 4000 chipset.

I am trying to setup 3 monitors, as I had with the old Optiplex 755s and I am having an issue.  All three monitors are detected in Windows and by the Intel configuration utility.  However, when I enable the 3rd display, one of the 3 displays randomly turns off.  As such, I cannot use the 3rd display.

I have 1 Dell E228WFP hooked up via Display Port to DVI, 1 Dell P170S hooked up via Display Port to DVI, and 1 Dell P170S hooked up via VGA.

Has anyone had any luck getting this working?  I have updated to the latest Intel Graphics driver to no luck.

Appreciate any advice you all could give me.

Thanks,

-Mike

Intel HD 4000 motherboard graphics don't support 3 monitors as far as I know ... only 2

The HD 4000 can do 3 monitors so long as the motherboard supports it. Read this:  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmark-core-i7-3770k,3181-3.html

" 5. Display outputs constitute the last domain. You can do three digital outputs on a desktop platform (provided a motherboard vendor enables them), but two have to be DisplayPort connectionsβ€”one at up to 2560x1600 and one at up to 1920x1200. The third screen can be HDMI (up to 1080p), DVI, VGA, or Display Port at up to 1920x1200. "

I hope this helps. If you find it is all setup like it should be but still doesn't work then just bump this post. I don't know much about your system but others do and will come help you out. I just didn't want you to runaway thinking the HD 4000 didn't support 3 monitors. Good luck emoticon.BigSmile.title

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

0 Kudos
freakmarket
2 Iron

ok ... thanks ... enlightening article ... it does state to get 3 monitors running on the HD 4000 but the motherboard has to have support enabled AND (big "and") have 2 display ports on the the m/b.

0 Kudos
freakmarket
2 Iron

lol ... my english failed there πŸ™‚

0 Kudos
msantangelo
1 Copper

I am using the DisplayPort to DVI adapters provided by Dell... Do they need to be DisplayPort to DisplayPort?  The motherboard has two DisplayPort connections which I am using, along with the VGA port.

0 Kudos
qman_au
1 Copper

Hi, To use 3 monitors on the Optiplex 7010 you need the following monitors and adapters:

1. 2 DP monitors, 1 vga monitor

2. 1 DP monitor, 1 vga monitor, 1 Active DP->DVI Adapter

3. 2 Active DP-DVI Adapters, 1 vga monitor.

Basically you will need Active DP->DVI adapters if you want to use 3 monitors that do not have DP ports.

Link to item on dell site: http://dell.to/Pfh4wQ

0 Kudos
msantangelo
1 Copper

Hello qman_au, I am currently using two of the Dell-provided DP-to-DVI adapters.  They are Dell Part Number 023NVR.  They are from Amphenol.  I don't know if they're active or what?  Either way it seems kind of silly to ship adapters which will not work to accomodate the 3-monitor solution.

0 Kudos
qman_au
1 Copper

Hi msantangelo, The 023NVR are passive DP->DVI adapters and were around before the 7010 was released. Seriously, Dell have no idea! I bought some Sapphire eyefinity DP->DVI adapters to prove to my Dell rep that 3 monitors work on the 7010! Then I had to show my Dell sales rep which active adapters I wanted from their catalogue! Hope this helps getting 3 monitors working for you. cheers

0 Kudos