How to restore vostro 470 to factory settings?
I've a Vostro 470 come with Windows 8. I did find there are hidden partitions seems storing Recovery data. But with very limited documentation and not Windows 8 media disc come with the computer, it will be great if it can be used to restore my PC back to Factory Settings.
Can it be done? and How?
Re: How to restore vostro 470 to factory settings?
Tap F8 as soon as it comes on and keep tapping until you can choose the repair option.
The Dell Backup and Recovery Application enables the user to backup and restore their data with just a few clicks. Dell Backup and Recovery Application
comes in two versions, Basic and Premium.
The Basic version comes pre-installed on all systems and allows the user to create the system recovery media and take a backup of the factory installed
applications and drivers. It also helps the user to restore the computer to the factory image in case of an OS issue.
The user can update the basic version to the premium version by paying the applicable fee. The premium version allows all functions of the basic version
plus adds more features like scheduled data backup and full system backup.
Dell Backup and Recovery Application will replace DataSafe Local 2.x on consumer and vostro platforms and Dell Backup and Recovery Manager (DBRM) on
There are four ways to open the Dell Backup and Recovery Application:
- Point to the right of the screen and when the charms bar comes up, click
Search then type in Dell Backup and Recovery.
Click Dell Backup and Recovery.
- Press the Windows Start button, click the Dell Backup and Recovery tile.
- Right- click on the Start screen, click All Apps and then click
the Dell Backup and Recovery tile.
- Open the My Dell Support Center tile from the Start screen and
click Backup. Click Launch Recovery Tool.
The basic edition Dell Backup and Recovery Application will be offered with all platforms that will ship with Windows 8 from the factory. This is a global
program which will be available in a number of languages across all channels.
Dell Backup and Recovery Application comes pre-installed through a custom factory integration (CFI) setup.
In case the user needs to reinstall the application, they can also download the same from the Applications section on the support site.
Dell Backup and Recovery Application can be uninstalled from the programs option in the control panel. The user needs to be informed about the fact that
they will not be able to do a data backup or recovery in case of an operating system crash. If the user still does not want the application, it should be uninstalled.
The Dell Backup and Recovery Application protection index has four states:
- At Risk
- Needs update
To access the protection index and find out how to get the protection index to healthy, you need to click the Protection Index tile.To ensure that the protection index remains healthy, the following needs to be taken care of:
- System recovery media needs to be created
- Drivers, Utilities and application media need to be created
- Operating system media needs to be created
- Dell Backup and Recovery Application should be upgraded
- Automatic full system backups needs to be scheduled
- The backup location needs to be set
- Rescue disc needs to be created
Dell Backup and Recovery Application needs to have the latest updates in order to keep it running efficiently. It can be updated by following these steps:
- Click the Update tile.
- Click Check Now to search for and install the latest updates.
You can alternatively select the check box next to Automatically Check for Update, to enable the software to check and prompt to install updates when available.
user will need to pay a fee for the upgradation. Follow these steps to upgrade to the full version of the Dell Backup and Recovery Application:
1 .Click the Upgrade tile.
2. Make sure the system is connected to the internet, then click the Online Upgrade Link.
3. The system connects to the Data Safe Local page. The user needs to fill in all the information (Delivery address, Billing address, Payment options and Service Tag) as required to purchase the upgrade.
4. Once the information is provided and submitted, the user will receive an email from cleverbridge which contains the order number and the key for BURA. The user needs to keep this email very carefully as it is a proof of purchase. There will be a notification as displayed in this image as well.
5.The webpage shows a step by step guide to activate the upgrade.
6. Go back to the upgrade tab and enter the activation code that was received by email into the four boxes provided, then click Upgrade.
Media Backup Overview
The Dell Backup and Recovery Application enables a user to create a system backup and a data backup.
Under the System Backup tab, the user can perform the following:
- Current Backup Frequency — Enables the user to set the frequency for a scheduled system backup or create a manual system backup.
- Current System Backup Location — Enables the user to set the location for storage of the system backup.
- File Exclusion Rules — Enables the user to exclude certain files from the backup, the user can choose to exclude Photos, Music, Videos or
based on file size.
- Backup Now — Enables a user to run a system backup immediately.Under the Data Backup tab, the user can perform the following:
- Current Backup Frequency — Enables the user to set the frequency for a scheduled data backup or create a manual data backup.
- Current System Backup Location — Enables the user to set the data backup location on the system.
- Data Backup — Enables the user to select the data to be backed up from various locations on the hard drive.
- Backup Now — Enables a user to run a data backup immediately
The Dell Backup and Recovery Application allows the user to create a copy of the factory image which allows the user to restore the system to factory
settings in case of an OS crash. The factory image would contain all the Applications and Drivers that was installed on the computer when it shipped out
of the factory. To create a copy of the factory image, follow these steps:
- Click the Recovery Media tile.
- Click Factory Backup.
- Select either 16 gig or larger USB Flash Drive or Discsas per your requirement. Ensure to connect the USB Flash Drive or put blank media into the optical drive.
NOTE: If there is no Optical drive in the system, user can attach an external USB DVD writer.
Click Start, at this point when you are prompted saying that the data would be lost, click Yes.
The factory image gets created on the USB flash drive or disc, click OK once done.
Dell Backup and Recovery Application allows the user to create a copy of the applications and drivers & utilities that were pre-installed on the
computer. To create a copy of the Applications and Drivers & Utilities, follow these steps:
1. Click the Recovery Media tile
2. Click Apps & Drivers.
3. Select either USB Flash Drive or Discs as per your requirement. Ensure to connect the USB Flash Drive or put blank media into the optical drive.
4. Click Continue.
5. Click Agree & Continue.
6. Click Start, at this point when you are prompted saying that the data would be lost, click Yes
7. The Apps & Drivers media gets created on the USB flash drive or disc, click OK once done.
Dell Backup and Recovery Application will be offered across the following Lines of Business:
Dell Backup and Recovery Application seeks to differentiate between the Dell backup solution and the one provided by Microsoft in Windows 8. Windows 8
provides backup and recovery by offering Push Button Reset and File History. The key differences between Win 8 backup and recovery and Dell Backup and Recovery
Application is listed in this table:
|Solution Feature||Microsoft Windows 8||Dell Backup and Recovery Application|
System Restore, Reset, Refresh, &
Focused primarily on OS, programs part of initial factory load
Covers OS, programs & data up to last
Simplified Consolidated User
Different consoles for each function, many with sub menus
Central console for all functions
External/ Managed not in place
User defined restore destination
OS Repair & Recovery Tools
Partial capability only — via Refresh
Integrated Point-of-need Services solution. OS, apps, data, to
OS & RDVD Media Burning
Restrictions on media type. Initial Apps & Driver only
User defined media type inclusive of latest instance
Application Critical Updates
Not specific to this solution, usually as part of a service
Critical updates push per incident
Apps & Drivers Recovery/Re-installation
Forced net download at point of need
Inclusive of updated backup image
Re: How to restore vostro 470 to factory settings?
I've tried to tap F8 on the Dell logo screen, but it didn't show any option for repair. It only show me a status bar at the bottom of the screen and display on the top right corner with F12 for boot option.
If I use the Dell Backup and Recovery Application, I can create a set of recovery disks. I guess I can use them to restore my PC. But as there are hidden partitions seem with the recovery data, how can I use those to restore my PC which should be much easier and faster.