alvinkhorfire
1 Nickel

XPS 420 CPU Switched Off by Itself.

A few minutes after booting up into Windows, my XPS 420 desktop switched off by itself without any reason. The monitor screen became blank and the power light on the CPU was off. I think that the problem is not due to my monitor. It is because I managed to access the monitor setting, by pressing the monitor buttons.

There was no diagnostic beep when it is powered on, as well as none of the power lights on the front panel were switched on. Note that I have never overclocked any component in the computer.

The problem has worsen, up to point that my desktop switched off by itself even during BIOS. Upon closer inspection, I realized that:
1. There is no problem in my power supply in my house. I tried connecting the CPU power plug to different power sockets, but to no avail.
2. The same symptom is also exhibited even after I detach the power cable to video card, and the SATA card to hard disk.
3. The LED on my motherboard lights off when the same problem occurs. Usually, when my desktop is working fine, this LED continuously emits light.

My computer specification is as follow:

Dell XPS420 Desktop / BIOS A07
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600  @ 2.40GHz
8 GB (4 x 2 GB) Kingston DDR2 800 MHz SDRAM Memory
Leadtek WinFast GTX460 1GB OC, 725 MHz Core, 3600 MHz Memory
1 TB 7200 RPM Samsung SpinPoint F3 hard disk
BTX motherboard
425 W Power Supply Unit

Guys, could you please advise me what is the cause of the computer malfunction and how I should fix it? I like this computer very much and it hurts me seeing it being malfunctioned. 😞 Thank you for your information.  🙂

0 Kudos