CJ Malson
1 Copper

Dell GX620 Power Supply Question

What is up guys, I am new here, and earlier this month my school got me a part time job as the public library IT assistant, since I was taking IT classes out at my high school. I am 18, and I know quite a bit about computers. My question here is, one of our computers at the library, a GX620, the power supply on the machine went bad, and all we have in the back of the library are spare Power Supplies for GX520's, I asked my IT teacher at school if it would be safe to go ahead and attempt to install the GX520 power supply in the GX620, but I still am not sure if this is a safe idea, would it cause a fire? Would it burn something inside the PC? My IT teacher told me to check the amps, and volts on the 620 Power Supply, and I did check, the GX620 Power Supply has a maximum of 275 WATTS, while the GX520 power supply has a maximum of 220 WATTS, is okay to switch the bad GX620 power supply, with the spare GX520?

--

C.J. Malson

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

RE: Dell GX620 Power Supply Question

And you know the PSU is bad, how..?

First, you'll need to know if the spare GX520 PSU is for the same form factor (Tower, Desktop, Small, Ultra-Small) as the GX620 before you can even think about using it because if the PC form factor is different, it may not even fit.

There's a 220 W PSU here that says it fits both the GX520 and GX620 Desktop. But if you do have a Desktop GX620, this PSU might be a bit underpowered if the original was 275W.

That said, you can get a PSU for the GX620 here for less than $30, depending on the form factor. If your existing GX620 PSU is 275W, it sounds like you might have a Small form GX620, based on the PSU specs listed on this page.

BTW: Please remove the phone number from your post. It's a violation of the forum's terms of use to post personal info, not to mention it's never a good idea to post personal info in any open forum.

EDIT: The forum doesn't like the second hyper link so it's here:

http://www.discountelectronics.com/category?product_model=3&category=2&product_type[16]=16

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

CJ Malson
1 Copper

Thanks for answering the question I asked earlier, well both computers are the same form factor desktop, and the GX520 PSU does fit in the GX620, but it is just under powered. I will look into that Power Supply Unit for $30, but I will have to talk it over with the Library Director, my boss, since this involves spending money, and if I buy it, my boss would have to reimburse me for the purchase, since it's for the library. Thanks so much for your help. Much appreciated it.

--

C.J. Malson

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

Now that you know the it's a Desktop form factor GX620, check around the net to see if anyone is selling the right PSU at a better price.

Just buy it from somewhere reputable...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee