RE: Attn: XPS 8700 Owners - Upgrade!!

"The Upgrade assumes the same prices and $699 sale price for an 8700 that I haven't seen in the past few months."

Dan-H. that's exactly what I paid for mine at Costco, and it shipped with an i7 & 12GB of RAM. The catch was that it had Windows 8. 

They had the same model, only with 8GB RAM instead of 12GB, and Windows 7 for $100 more ($799.99). Anything with Windows 7 did & still does cost more than 8.1 & 10 today, though the only offerings now are the Pro version. That's what Costco was pushing when I got mine, 7 Pro. Two whole pallets of Toshiba notebooks with i7's were gone inside of 30 minutes, some getting their limit of 5. Costco was bringing out two pallets every hour to ensure there was stock for the sale period. They did the same with Dell Inspirions with dual core i7's a month later. 

Since I had a full version copy of Windows 7 sealed, I figured to just setup a dual boot, have 4GB more RAM & have both OS's for $100 less than the cost of the Windows 7 model. I had already checked, the drivers were there, didn't care for the few extra software offerings, which to be honest, Dell didn't load this PC with a load of garbage. Though 3rd string retailers like Best Buy likely did load them up with garbage. They were selling the XPS 8700's with i5's for more than Costco was charging for i7 versions. 

At the time, I was saving for a build, a i5 one, and when I laid eyes on the XPS 8700 at Costco, knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I couldn't build an i5 system for that price, let alone an i7. Quality components costs hard cash, and on the Dell site, the exact same configuration that I got was $350 more at $1,049.99. 

So being a Costco member has it's perks, great prices on decent computers. In fact, they still carry the XPS 8700, though now, most comes with 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD & 4GB DDR3 GPU (seems like Dell is no longer pushing GDDR5 equipped models). 

One thing for sure, Dell has squeezed all it could from the sales of the XPS 8700, for over 2 years straight. I have no idea what's going to replace it, yet I hope that like notebooks, desktop PC's doesn't become watered down with dual core CPU's (they've since went back to quad core, but with only 15W). 

Fore $699.99, I'm not complaining a bit except on one spec of the PC. What appears to be a x4 slot on the bottom, is a x1 one. What are we supposed to install in such a slot? A SATA-3 card to add more SSD's (or storage HDD) or an eSATA card? That's all it appears to be good for. Many purchased a Kingston branded x4 SSD, only to find out the speed wasn't there, or the cards couldn't be booted from & are now unloading these on eBay. 

Like I did, they should have searched the Dell forum before purchase. I didn't even have to ask, seen a Topic in regards to that port. 

Cat

Proud Dell owner since 2003, beginning with the Dell Latitude C640.
System Specs, as provided by Speccy (05/22/2018) Delidded i7-4790K!

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/2C1bee3t40vxgFn8Fo8Uj35

XPS 8700 specs (current), added 92mm front intake in well concealed stock area, no case mod needed, only two screws & PWM splitter (exhaust tied to CPU fan speed), intake uses stock exhaust header & fan. All fans controlled by SpeedFan, otherwise would be locked at just over 800 rpm, now all runs over 2000 rpm.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi