sean5470
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 1100 Memory Upgrade Questions

I got lucky upgrading my 2004 inspiron 1100. For starters, the issue many of you are having is the result, NOT from Dell's neglect in manufacturing these laptops, but if you do more research on the topic of "Low Density" versus "High Density" memory modules, you would find out that there area quite a few 'older' computers and even some of the newer motherboards that will only recognize and work with the more universal 'Low Density' module chip design. Counting this 1100 laptop, i own and use a total of three pc's that will only use the Low Density chips. And a little FYI for all of you owners, i don't know the exact maximum memory of these, though I would speculate it to be 2gig and NOT the listed 1gig. I say that, only based on the fact that i like to play around and I am currently runningmy 1100 with a 1 gig chip AND a 256meg chip installed and being fully recognized by the laptop. I have installed, a NANYA, 1Gig chip with the IC Chip markings of = "NT5DS64M8BG-6k" and a 256Meg Chip made by Samsung with the chip markings of "K4H561638D-TCB0". They both look to be DDR333's with a 2.5 CAS Latency. I have yet to get a hold of another 1 gig chip to see if it is seen by the bios and recognized fully. One can google the chip ID numbers to verify my installed chips. Don't be confused when the results come back as a 512Mbit and a 128Mbit chip though, as one has to remember that both of these modules are double-sided. At any rate, right-clicking and looking at my "My Computer" properties, it does indeed come right up with 1.25 GB of RAM . To summarize, the issue at hand is not only with Dell and I haven't done much research on the switch to the manufacturing of the newer High Density chips, but to make an educated guess, I would come to the conclusion that it was not a 'design error' in regards to not thinking that a chip would ever be bigger than 32Mbit, but it probably had more to do with the over all economy and manufacturing the IC chip cheaper. i.E. - 'make a higher density chip - result equals manufacturers having to put fewer chips on a pcb board......which would cut down on the over all cost of production per module".. Personally, I am more adept to go with the thoughts on that line, as everyone that manufactures anything is always looking to cut production cost to help them increase profit margins. PNY isn't at all a bad chip to invest in. Though I usually try to look for Kingston brand. Only because they have proven to me to be the most compatible with the most systems, time and time again. So, if your still having issues with upgrading your 1100, or any pc you have, and a generic module won't work,, you are probably looking at a "density" issue and you will need to specifically ask for the "Low Density" as they are the most likely modules that will work in almost all PC motherboards.

0 Kudos