White_Sox
1 Copper

Inspiron 1520 Start Up Issues

I bought an Inspiron 1520 in 2008 (Vista 32bit Home OS) and have recently began having start up issues.  When I initially boot up my PC the log-in screen comes up fine, I can type in my password, hit enter and it moves on.  However, it will load my desktop but as soon as I go to click on anything (My Computer, "Start", anything) it will just sit there.....and sit there....and sit there....The screen will flash a couple times and eventually fade to a white screen where it sits idle and makes zero advances.

I ran "chkdsk" along with every diagnostic test I could get my hands on.  I received the following error codes: "0142", "0F00:0244"

Last night I ran the repair utility after booting the OS disk from the CD Drive and it said it found some corrupt data that it had repaired.  I have not had a chance to see if that has solved the problem.

I apologize for my nievete, but can someone help me with what the issue might be and possible solutions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Re: Inspiron 1520 Start Up Issues

The hard drive has developed bad sectors and should be replaced.  You'll need a new 2.5" 9.5 mm SATA notebook hard drive.  If you don't have a copy of Windows, you will need and can order one:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&l=en&s=gen&redirect=1

0 Kudos
White_Sox
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 1520 Start Up Issues

Is there any chance of any utility being able to repair the bad sectors?  Or is this something that is unrepairable?

Second questions.....

I've never replaced a harddrive in a laptop before; I've done it on a desktop and I've replaced RAM in a laptop but never a harddrive.  Is this something your average lay person could do?

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos