byrne86
1 Copper

Re: Choppy audio after reboot of Inspiron 6400 laptop

I downloaded both drivers, but the soundblaster one just failed and said I didn't have the correct hardware.

Anyway, I've made a discovery after searching the internet for a solution. It seems it is not a problem with my sound card or drivers, it is my cpu. Apparently, it has something to do with the power management of them, someone else with the same problem as me, found that on their machine that if you open notepad and put word wrap on, hold down a letter so that it just continuously types it will skip and jump at exactly the same time as my audio skips and jumps. He said that the way to solve this is to "adjust your power management settings so that the frequency of both cores will always stay at max clock speed", I have been looking into how to do this but have not found anything yet, I have tried using the power settings in windows xp, but that didn't change anything so, if you know how I can do what that guy suggested, I can try it and hopefully it will work.

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

If you're not seeing the proper power management, one of two things is missing:  either the Dell notebook system software or the chipset driver.

0 Kudos
byrne86
1 Copper

The power management is the one that has the themes like desk top/home, always on, laptop/portabe. I got there by right clicking the desktop, going to screensaver then power, is this the only power management?

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

There is also a hardware-based power management in the BIOS setup.  It should not be necessary to set the system for maximum speed all the time - doing so is going to appreciably shorten the life of the system.  There's another possibility you should investigate - overheating can cause the stuttering, as the CPU will throttle back.  Make sure the heatsink and fan are free of dust and operating correctly.  And on a system this old, also make sure the thermal interface between the CPU and heatsink is in good shape - the material can dry out and lead to overheating.

0 Kudos
byrne86
1 Copper

Thanks for all your help, I think I might just get a new laptop when my student loan comes through, or maybe even a desktop, who knows. Thanks anyway but I'm just going to accept that it's time to call it a day on this machine.

0 Kudos
icaro911
1 Copper

BYRNE86,

I have the same problem here. I have already seem the fact of letters jumping/failing on the screen while holding any key pressed.
Don't you have the link/page where you found the information linking power management settings to the stuttering problem? It would be important to investigate more with the person that wrote this...

Thx!!

0 Kudos

Hi, unfortunately i'm having the same problem. i have an inspiron 6400 with choppy audio while playing any video or music. I've reinstalled 3 times the entire system.  In the last one i did a full format and reinstallation the entire system and the laptop works well d(no choppy audio and pretty fast) for about 3 weeks. After 3 weeks sudenly  the problem came back with the same symptoms.  I really need help

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

Choppy/Skippy Audio FAQ.

I have expanded it since this thread began. I don't have any new suggestions that are not in the faq.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
icaro911
1 Copper

Have you already tried to play music with a cd inside the drive?

lol

My D520 had this problem and I found this solution on the web. Dont have this link now.

0 Kudos