Re: Disable touchpad on XPS 17
Welcome to the Dell community.
If you have windows 7, following are the steps to disable the touchpad.
1. Click the Start button.
2. Now press the Control Panel button.
3. Once the Control Panel screens appears, click the green Hardware and Sound link.
4. Under the Devices and Printers section press the Mouse link.
5. On the mouse properties screen select the Hardware tab. Now highlight the touchpad mouse which is the PS/2 Compatible Mouse and press the Properties button.
6. Now click the Change Settings button at the bottom of the mouse properties screen. When the new mouse properties screen apears select the Drivers tab and then press the Disable button. Windows will now warm you about disabling this device; just click the Yes button.
7. When you return to the mouse properties screen press the OK button. You will now be asked to restart your laptop for the settings to take effect. Press the Yes button and let Windows 7 restart. Upon login into Windows again your touchpad will be disabled.
- If your laptop has a Synaptics touchpad then you can disable it by going to the Synaptics tab under the mouse properties.
- Some laptops have a button or function key to disable the touchpad. Make sure to use this method first before following this tutorial.
Let me know if you need anything else