PeterVan
1 Copper

Re: E6520 w/ XP - IDT Audio Control Panel

Oh... one more side note..... it is not related to sound, but is related to the Nvidia drivers......  I hope I can remember all this accurately, but if not it is close....

If you ever run into the problem where you lose color to your TV/monitor (it goes Black and White on you) .....  don't worry.... there is a rational (albeit somewhat complicated and frustrating) explanation.   Here goes...

• There are profile "files" kept on your PC by the Nvidia HDMI video driver (and all video drivers I suspect).   These have something to do with recording your brightness, contrast, color etc settings you set up for your laptop display and external monitors.
  • Nvidia came up with a setting in their video drivers they call Digital Vibrance. Its like a color intensity setting.  You can find it under the main Control Panel, Nvidia Control Panel, Adjust Desktop Color Settings of any laptop.  It is one of the slider bars.   It exists similarly for external monitor settings.
  • Apparently orginally Nvidia defined Digital Vibrance to be something you could only add to (from the default).  So the default setting was 0 out of 100 with the slider bar all the way to the left.
  • At some point Nvidia decided that Digital Vibrance should be something you should be able to add to "or subtract" from the default.   They then redefined the default (normal) setting to be 50, or the the slider bar midway between 0 and 100.  You could now lower the Digital Vibrance too.
  • Well somewhere something gets screwed up in the initiation of the profile Files.  Its rare but it happens. There is a situation where the profile file can get reset and if it does it gets reset to to the original defined default value of "0" for Digital Vibrance instead of the new default of 50.   Under the new Nvidia driver rules, a Digital Vibrance setting of "0" is the equivalent to no color at all, or Black & White!
  • So if this condition happens to occur, where the file gets reset improperly, suddenly your TV or monitor will go Black and White when you use it with HDMI.  No amount of messing with the monitor's hardware settings will fix it because the signal it is receiving has no color in it.   I even saw a very bizarre occurance (for which I still can't explain), where first only one of four HDMI ports on the TV exhibited this behavour when connected to my laptop, then three of four HDMI ports went Black and White.  I was sure the problem was the TV.  This could only be explained if there were different profile "files" kept for each "port" of a device, some of which get reset to "0" digital vibrance and others that do not.   All my research indicated this is not the case though, that only one profile exists per hardware device.  But it happened.   So if you see this even stranger event..... you are not the first.   
  • Anyway.....  to fix the problem just go in and move the Digital Vinbrance slider for your monitor in the Nvidia Control Panel and slide it to 50.... and wa la....  no more black and white.

I mention this in this thread because it is another quirk of the the same Nvidial HDMI driver.......   one I suspect will never get fixed due to the age of the driver.  But it is still being shipped in Dell computers today with XP.

Good luck my friends....

Peter Van......