caddy10
1 Nickel

RE: Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller driver for 7720 inspiron 17r special edition

Hi APPU S

Thank you for trying to help me.

Yes the laptop was bought on Ebay.com.au about a week ago. Sold as new but with fault - usb 3.0 ports not working with 'intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller - 0100 (Microsoft)' showing with a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager. Laptop retails in Australia from Dell for $1099 & I bought it for $539 delivered. The seller said on ebay that the laptop had the fault as explained above. The seller said that he bought the laptop at a Dell auction in Tasmania Australia. He said that he did not try to reinstall windows 8. But as we now know, there was no recovery partition on the hard drive so I assume that someone had reformatted the hard drive & reinstalled windows 8. Seller said that this was a known issue with the laptop - usb 3 ports not working with the intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller message.

Now this is what I just did - Fully updated windows 8. Uninstalled the 2 'USB root hub'. Waited till they were uninstalled then rebooted laptop.

This is what was in Device Manager - universal serial bus controllers before I uninstalled the 2 usb root hub. (no yellow exclam. marks.)

generic usb hub

generic usb hub

standard enhanced pci to usb host controller

usb composite device

usb root hub

usb root hub

Uninstalled the 2 'usb root hub'

what was left is                                       (only 2 lines)

Rebooted laptop.

what I now have in device manager under usb controllers              (with no yellow exclam. marks)

generic usb hub

generic usb hub

reaktek usb 2.0 card reader

usb composite device

usb root hub

usb root hub

But usb ports still not recognizing any usb 2.0 flash drives (don't have any usb 3.0 flash drives)

If I had the original recovery partition then I could have performed a factory recover.

Is there any was that I can obtain the original factory recovery partition?

Many thanks for your time

regards Pete

0 Kudos