Dell XPS L321X does not detect external usb hard drive
I have a external usb hard drive by HP, dvd550s-H03 8 which my dell XPS computer is not detecting. Seems like the hard drive does not need any drivers. So that is not an issue. Can someone help me a bit here ?
Re: Dell XPS L321X does not detect external usb hard drive
Please try connecting the USB drive into an alternative USB port and see if it helps. You may also try using an alternate USB device such as mouse, flash drive etc to verify the functionality of USB ports.
If the USB ports are not working properly, you may follow the steps below to uninstall USB root hubs and restart the system :
- Unplug all USB devices from the computer.
- Press Windows + R button on keyboard
- Type 'devmgmt.msc' without quotes and press Enter
- The Device Manager window will open
- Click on > sign next to ‘USB Universal Bus Controllers’ to expand the category.
- Right click on each entry listed under USB Universal Bus Controllers and click on ‘Uninstall’.
- Click on ‘Yes’ on the security warning.
- Restart the computer and Windows will automatically install generic drivers for USB Root Hubs.
If the issue persists after refreshing USB root hubs, you may update the chipset drivers from Here -> Enter the Service Tag of system -> Click on Drivers and Downloads -> select the operating system installed on your computer -> Expand the 'chipset' category and download/install the drivers -> Restart the computer when prompted and check if the hard drive is getting detected.
If you have any questions, please share the system model along with the Operating system installed on computer. Will take it further from there.
RE: Dell XPS L321X does not detect external usb hard drive
I did all the above an my hdd is still not being recognized. My service tag is: 8m1vm32.
Thomas Van Maele