silkphoenix
1 Nickel

Broadcom Network Card for Inspiron 6400

Hello,

I have an Inspiron 6400 with Windows XP SP3.

Yesterday, my Inspiron stalled, I think because of overheated. I did a cold start and after that, my Local Area Connection icon disappeared from my Network Connections list. It only listed the Wireless Connection, but no LAN connection.

I went to my Device Manager and my broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller has a yellow (!) mark on it, and I went to Properties, and it displayed the error "Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated controller: cannot start (code 10)". I have updated the driver again from Dell site and I have also uninstalled the controller, rebooted and the yellow {!) still there.

I suspect that the controller was disabled and/or damaged because of the overheating, am I correct?

I have used an air duster and blew out some dust from the fan of the laptop, also I have a Cooler Master cooling stand, somehow it didn't prevent my laptop from overheating.

I have been monitoring my laptop temperature and it ranged from 65C to 75C. If I run a lot of programs, it'll go up to the low 80s. Whenever it gets to 80s, I stopped working and let it cool down to the upper 60s.

I know how to disassemble the laptop to open it up so I can blow out all the dust, etc. But before I do that, I would like to know if there's anything I can do to solve this problem.

Any suggestions/comments on how to fix the problem are much appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos