ekliu
1 Copper

Latitude 3540, Win 8.1: VGA port faulty? Will not display to external monitors or projectors

Hello, everyone.

I am using a Latitude 3540 laptop with switchable graphics (Intel HD Graphics, AMD Radeon HD 8850M). As soon as I got the laptop, I upgraded to 8.1 (probably a mistake!).

All of my drivers are up to date according to Device Manager, and I've updated the chipset and BIOS and everything according to the Dell website. But for as long as I've had this laptop, the VGA port will not work! I'm using a VGA cord that has worked with other laptops before without issue. The laptop will not output to projector, external monitor, or a TV. Pressing the win-P combination brings up the ability to extend and duplicate my screen. When I change those settings, my screen resolution will change, but the external monitor/projector doesn't display anything. When I try to detect displays in my graphics properties, it just doesn't detect anything that's connected.

Is my VGA port faulty? Or does anyone have any suggestions on what else to try at this point? My laptop is still under warranty, so I suppose I could always send it in to be fixed.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos