stephenloosli
1 Nickel

RE: Trouble with XPS 15 9550, USB-C/Thunderbolt 3, and external monitors

Further info:

• I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.
  • I updated the Intel video driver to the latest direct from Intel by deleting the Dell driver. Didn't help. For now, I've rolled back to the latest Dell issued Intel video driver.
  • I rolled back on the nVidia driver to the latest Dell issued version. Didn't help. I've since let that driver automatically update to the latest direct from nVidia.
  • I was hopeful when I saw the new Thunderbolt 3 driver. Didn't help.
  • I noticed that the max resolution on the Dell DA200 "mini-dock" HDMI port is somewhere below that of the dedicated USB-C to HDMI cable. The DA200 didn't reach to the native resolution of my monitors, which is 2560x1440. Disappointed in that, as I liked the idea of it and gig ethernet port running simultaneously. One fact on this front is that when I had the DA200 connected via HDMI to my 3rd screen AND the ethernet port in use, the ethernet port also went flaky when the display events occurred. Really, really strong evidence of a Thunderbolt 3 problem, right? I'd be curious to know if those using the new Thunderbolt docking station have noticed the other ports going flaky during the display events.

I've temporarily given up on the Thunderbolt 3 port. I ordered a Plugable USB 3.0 to 4K HDMI that does 2560x1440 at 60 hz (DisplayLink drivers). I've always had great success with my Plugable video cards and, while waiting for UPS, I'm presently using an older Plugable USB 3.0 to DVI unit connected to an older monitor as display #3. No problems whatsoever and no crazy fan speeds. In fact, except for which ports are being used, I'm set up and stable the way I hoped.

I have some confidence that Dell will get this fixed. In fact, I kind of blame Intel - it's their chipset and tech. Perhaps that is what I deserve for being ahead of all the accessory set for the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port. I see that even noted Googler, Benson Leung, who had taken it upon himself to 3rd party validate USB-C cables, was burned (literally) when a shoddy cable fried his beautiful Chromebook Pixel and several pieces of kit connected to it.

So, I'll fix my immediate problem and wait for Dell to fix theirs. I have plenty of adapters to choose from when that magical Thunderbolt 3 port decides to work (without turning my fan into a drone motor).