I would like to remove the large square sticker from the left side of the touchpad without scratching the surface. Is this sticker supposed to be permanent or can it be removed? I have tried to peel it off at the corner, but it does not want to come off. I don't want to damage to corner, if it is supposed to stay put. If I peel it off, will it leave a mark?
This is a trivial question, but I appreciate an answer in order to avoid making a mistake.
Solved! Go to Solution.
You can remove the sticker if you choose. to do so. If you need some guidelines you can look below.
- Remember to do this slowly. If you rush it and try to pull the whole thing off at once, you run the risk of tearing the sticker or separating the glue backing.
- Start from the edges. Use your fingernails, a pair of tweezers, or a non-abrasive abrasive putty knife. Be careful not to scratch or damage any plastic or aluminum surfaces in the process.
- Pull the sticker up slowly from the edge you just started. Try to pull it up using an angle between 45 and 90 degrees. Never bend the sticker back further than a 90 degree angle, as this will promote the separation of the glue backing and printed material.
Clean the surface. Some sticker residue may be rubbed off easily, while some require additional help. As always, avoid scratching the surface.
- First, try rubbing off the remaining residue by hand. Many forms of glue, even when mixed with a little paper, will curl up onto itself when moved over a surface.
- Second, if rubbing doesn't help, try using duct tape or other very sticky tape to remove the remaining residue. Break or cut off a piece of tape, apply it to the surface, then remove it. Repeat this until all of the residue has been removed, and attached to the tape instead.
- Third, if all previous attempts fail, use chemicals. A popular and extremely useful method is to use a citric-acid based cleaner such as "Goo-Gone". These type of cleaners will not harm metal or harder plastics, but may dry the surface of softer plastics, leaving a white, frosted appearance. Test this on a small, hidden area first. Another liquid to try is alcohol. Another is WD-40 which won't hurt the surface and can be cleaned off the computer's surface with a dish rag and a little soap.
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?