Battery found drained after shutting down.
I have a Dell Inspiron 3542 and for the past few weeks I have found that the battery drains after shutting down the laptop. The following is a step by step explanation of the issue :
1. After charging the laptop to 100 %, I clicked Start > Power > Shut down.
2. After waiting for like 5 minutes and ensuring that the laptop is, like "dead" ( no sounds, vibrations or anything ), I closed the lid and kept it on the table.
3. Next day, switch the laptop on and it does not turn on. The battery light flashes for a second and goes off. I connect the AC adapter and the laptop switches on. It shows 0 % battery.
I have run a full diagnostic check up of the laptop and the results do not display any issues related to memory, hard disk or the battery. Lid sensor also works perfectly.
However, I found something interesting. I checked the Event Viewer and I found the following logs :
1. Information 10-09-2017 21:16:51 User32 1074 None :
The process Explorer.EXE has initiated the power off of computer DESKTOP-GJRG6VA on behalf of user DESKTOP-GJRG6VA\Dell Inspiron 3542 for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)
Reason Code: 0x0
Shut-down Type: power off
// That's when I shut down the laptop.
2.Information 10-09-2017 21:16:54 Winlogon 7002 (1102) : User Log-off Notification for Customer Experience Improvement Program
3. Information 10-09-2017 21:16:56 Kernel-Power 42 (64) :
The system is entering sleep.
Sleep Reason: Application API
4. Information 10-09-2017 21:16:58 Kernel-Power 107 (102) : The system has resumed from sleep.
5. Information 11-09-2017 10:19:32 Kernel-General 1 (5) :
The system time has changed to 2017-09-11T04:49:32.500000000Z from 2017-09-10T15:46:58.855067000Z.
Change Reason: System time synchronized with the hardware clock.
// That's the time I switched it back on.
As seen, the laptop was shut down on 10-09-2017 21:16:51. But, did it enter Sleep mode on 10-09-2017 21:16:56 ? and the log shows it resumed from sleep on 10-09-2017 21:16:58, but I did not see any response like the screen turning back on or something.
Does anyone has a solution to this issue ?