verbage
1 Nickel

RE: Dell Inspiron 7537 no longer charging- motherboard failure

Sadly, this is NOT an uncommon problem, and it appears to affect many, many Dell laptops, not just your Inspiron 7537, but other Inspirons and non-Inspirons, too.  By coincidence, I had an Inspiron 7520 that I purchased in Aug. or Sep. of 2013, and it had been working fine until October of this year, and then all of sudden, the same thing happened.  On plugging in the power adapter, the light on the adapter would go out (i.e. the adapter shut down because there was a short somewhere on the motherboard).

At first, I thought it was simply that a component in the power adapter had died.  But I was able to fully confirm this was not the case because I have three separate power adapters for the system--one for home, one for work, and a spare one for travel.  All three adapters did the same thing.

As I started to research it, one of the first suggestions that came up, like ejn63 has made above, was that the DC connector on the laptop had a problem.  Fair enough--this is a mechanical part to some extent so plugging/unplugging the machine over several years could have exacted its toll.  So I ordered a replacement DC jack for ~$15, but sadly, that did not fix the problem.

That's when I started searching more in depth, and realized that the problem was most likely part of the power circuit on the motherboard--hence, the suggestions to replace the motherboard.  As I said, there are thousands of postings about this, and it affects not just your Inspiron 7537, but many other Inspirons, and also models from the Latitude and XPS lines, too.  Do a Google search such as:

www.google.com/search

It turns out that there are mosfets and potentially some capacitors in the power supply circuits that frequently blow out.  If you can hunt down the schematic documents for your machine, and you are skilled with SMD (surface-mount device) semiconductor soldering, you can possibly replace the bad components.  But these SMD parts are super-tiny, and soldering is most easily down with a hot air reflow station, not a traditional soldering iron

I note that the problem is so common that many repair services capable of SMD soldering have popped up to offer motherboard fixes at flat rates like $149.  For example, for my Inspiron 7520, here is just one of the many companies that offer such a service:

www.ebay.com/.../330924463055

If it gets to this point, i.e. that private companies are offering flat rate fixes, this only works because they can almost invariably predict the problem.  In the case of power problems, they know it is related to a few mosfets, caps, or similar, and even if they replace them all, it will only cost them <$2 in parts.  So even if it takes one hour of their time for the fix (probably skilled workers can do it in much less time), they make a pretty healthy profit!

Anyway, in my case, I only had a 1-year warranty on the machine, and even if I did have a 3-year warranty, I was a few months over it anyways.  So I decided to buy a new machine.  Nonetheless, knowing that <$2 in parts would probably revive my 7520 is extraordinarily frustrating...

Given the scope of the problem, it would possibly make sense to modularize the power supply circuits so they are easily replaceable, but that would probably increase production costs a bit.  But surely Dell has already crunched the numbers about this to make the business case for its present course of action.

0 Kudos