Lobsterlake
1 Nickel

New Dell Inspiron 15 7000 (7567) Gaming (2017) Performance Issue

Hi all,

I recently purchased an Inspiron 15 7567 gaming laptop from Dell and have encountered a few issues.

Computer Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700HQ Kabylake

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 

Memory: 8GB (1x) DDR4

Storage: 1TB Hybrid Drive

The rest can be found here

Problem:

Upon first setup there were issues installing the NVIDIA drivers where the install would fail multiple times - eventually I got the driver to install. Then I had some issues with the graphics card enabling when I would play games so I just changed the setting in the NVIDIA control panel to always use the dedicated GPU. After playing some AAA titles such as GTA V and Arma III, I am experiencing what appears to be throttling. On low or ultra settings, my FPS remains around 45-50 (sometimes a little higher before stutter) on most games which surprised me because the dedicated GPU is a 1050 Ti which has higher specs than what the games need. After playing for maybe an hour, the game starts to frequently stutter, dropping frames for a couple seconds then boosting back and so on. I have monitored the temperature of both the GPU and CPU which reach ~56 degrees Celsius and ~70 degrees Celsius respectively. I have also monitored the usage of the CPU and memory during play, the CPU not reaching full usage and the memory reaching about 90% usage. I have also monitored the GPU performance through GPU-Z and will attach the file below. I have virtually tried everything that I can think of when it comes to troubleshooting: I have monitored everything, lowered the settings in the games to the lowest, researched, and have came up with no solutions.

Game Requirements GTA V:

Minimum: 

• OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 64 Bit Service Pack 2* (*NVIDIA video card recommended if running Vista OS)
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @ 2.5GHz
  • Memory: 4GB
  • Video Card: NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB / AMD HD 4870 1GB (DX 10, 10.1, 11)
  • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
  • HDD Space: 65GB

Recommended:

• OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHZ (4 CPUs) / AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHZ (8 CPUs)
  • Memory: 8GB
  • Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB / AMD HD7870 2GB
  • Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
  • HDD Space: 65GB

Game Requirements ARMA III:

Minimum:

• Processor: Intel Dual Core 2.4 GHz / AMD Dual-Core 2.4 GHz
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT / AMD Radeon HD 5670 / Intel HD Graphics 4000 with 512 MB VRAM
  • DirectX: 10
  • RAM: 4 GB
  • Hard Drive: 20GB free space

Recommended:

• Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 / AMD FX 4300 or better
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 / AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series with 2 GB VRAM
  • DirectX: 11
  • RAM: 6 GB
  • Hard Drive: 25 GB free space

Questions:

Would the memory reaching ~90% usage be causing the stuttering? (It could possibly be the game using page files when it runs out, causing a slow in performance?)

How could I tell if the GPU or CPU were throttling and how can I fix it?

Am I configuring the GPU or any other setting incorrectly?

Have any of you experienced this problem?

Could it be faulty hardware?

Thank you all for you help in solving this issue!