Saltgrass
4 Germanium

RE: Inspiron 7000 Gaming (7567) - Problem adding 2nd hard drive

One thing to remember, do not change the controller on a bootable drive without going through the special procedure using msconfig.exe to set the system to boot into Safe Mode after your change the setting in the Bios.

You seem to have gone down a Rabbit hole and hard for me to follow where you are.  Do you currently have a system booting to the PCIe NVMe drive in Secure Boot mode?  The external drive should not even be attached during this process.

Changing from RAID to AHCI changes the controller for both drives but the big difference is it allows the M.2 slot to function as PCIe.  The system, in order to boot a PCIe drive, has to use the UEFI boot configuration.

I would ask, you try to get the system back to a normal state.  If the SSD is capable of running it will be seen normally.  If it is not, you may not be able to get it installed but it should be seen when connected to the SATA cable in either RAID or AHCI since they are both SATA controllers.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
ttmcmurry
1 Copper

Saltgrass,

Hey thank you for the reply.  Like you, I have an understanding of UEFI, Secure Boot, SATA, M.2 (NVMe), AHCI, and "Raid" (according to Intel) and the relationship between those technologies and successful use of them in concert with all of the available options.

Addressing your points.  There has never been an external drive in use in any parts of discovering the issue, or in diagnosing it either.  The issue is with the Internal SATA port on the motherboard.  

I had already installed the appropriate drivers via the Safe Boot method you describe and have been safely able to switch between AHCI & RAID modes arbitrarily for some time now without having to go back into Safe Mode.  Once I make the switch in BIOS, Windows "just boots" and otherwise operates normally with the NVMe drive.  

Changing the AHCI/RAID mode was meant to figure out what's going on with the SATA port.  The original issue is the SATA port only sees HDD type SATA drives, not SSD type SATA drives.

By testing thoroughly, I've eliminated the M.2 NVMe drive as a cause for problems as I can successfully reproduce the inability for the SATA port to work when only a SATA device is connected.  

I successfully installed Win10 onto the SATA HDD while the Win10 installer can't see the SATA SSD.  The point of testing installation of Windows to HDD was to eliminate an issue where my existing Win10 installation on the NVMe could be causing the problem - i.e. "Start Fresh to see if problems persist".  Turns out the issues manifest far before a normal Windows installation has occurred.

I'm able to reinsert only the NVMe drive and boot Windows without issue at any time.  It has performed an exemplary job the entire time.  I've never changed UEFI/Legacy boot modes, it has been UEFI the entire time.  

As I've typed this, Windows 10 just finished installing on the HDD with the NVMe drive disconnected.  The problem is clearly how the SATA port handles SSDs.  There aren't any other variables I am aware of to check.  I've eliminated the last variable:  does the SATA port work at all?  It does, but only with HDDs.

Here's a quick matrix of the testing and results:

Here's Win10 running on the 7567 on the HDD:

0 Kudos

Thanks for the further updates and replies on this. Can you Private Message me your Service Tag? Or has anything changed since then?

Also, saltgrass, on your system w/ the two SSDs, was this on your 7567?

Best regards,

Brad

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

Yes Brad, the 7567.  I had already installed the M.2 drive as PCIe and installed the SSD when someone had a problem, which they had because of an older SSD they were trying to use.

My SSD was clean when I added it so no situations about a controller change.

I am running Bios version 1.00.07 but just upgraded to 1.1.0 which does not appear to effect the SSD install.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
ttmcmurry
1 Copper

I'm actually on 1.1.0 , release date 8/17/2017 (according to SMBIOS).  Brad, I've PMed you the requested information.  Thanks everyone!

0 Kudos
TaylorD24
1 Copper

I am having the same issue with my Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming (Intel) - 7567 laptop. I wanted to upgrade the 512gb to an additional 1TB. Upon adding the new Samsung 850 V-NAND SSD it will not recognize in my c; drive. Any suggestions on being able to save/download all programs to the new SSD and heave the Toshiba for running OS? Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
Erwin.Kocken
1 Copper

Hi there, is there a solution for this problem? I just received my Inspiron 7000 Gaming 7577, and I have EXACT the same problem... The unit has a 256Gb PCIE NVME SSD and a 1Tb HDD. I swapped the hdd for a Crucial MX200 500GB SSD, I only see the PCIE SSD in windows, no matter what I try..

0 Kudos
drpain714
1 Copper

Brad or anybody else at Dell

I have a fairly similar issue (as do 2 other users who posted at the bottom of this forum with no reply to date...) I just purchased a new Dell 15 7567 with a Sandisk M2 256gb drive.  I tried adding a 2nd drive and have tried two options:

1. WD Blue SSD 250gb...result bios and windows does NOT see it

2. HGST 1TB HDD ...result same bios and windows does NOT see it.

This issue is getting very frustrating as I have updated all windows updates.  I do try your Dell SupportAssist and it finds a SATA driver that needs updating (15.7.3.1019, A01) however every time I update, it seems too quick to install and asks for a reboot.  Upon reboot, it still shows up as available update aka needs to be installed again.  

Please help with this issue.  On the verge of returning this, as on first startup I noticed horrendous wifi speeds with the included intel 3165 adapter.  I already had to purchase a new m2 wifi card intel 8265 as before the 3165 was limiting me to 10mbps on my AC backbone with gigabit internet.  now I get 400+mbps with the 8265.  

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

I have a fairly similar issue (as do 2 other users who posted at the bottom of this forum with no reply to date...) I just purchased a new Dell 15 7567 with a Sandisk M2 256gb drive.  I tried adding a 2nd drive and have tried two options:

How do you have the SATA controller configured in the Bios?  If you have not modified your system's configuration then it is set to RAID.  I assume you can still boot normally after adding the second drive on the SATA cable but you can't format the new drive?

0 Kudos
brihi7577
1 Copper

SAME!!!! just bought the 7577. cant figure out why it wont accept my secondary ssd? I called dell, but that was an absolute joke. between their service, problems with m.2 drive running slow and now this issue with secondary ssd drive. I think im taking it back and going with a diff brand.

0 Kudos