bren7473
1 Nickel

Dell Inspiron 5577 2.5" Sata drive bay size. 7mm or 9.5mm??

I cannot find any information on the length of the sata bay. Can it fit 9.5 mm drives or is it 7mm? It's insane to me that this is straight up impossible to find an answer to online or in the manual. What freaking size drive fits into the 2.5 Sata bay??? There are 7mm and 9.5mm ones. The official Crucial upgrade parts are 7mm drives but they come with 9.5mm drive adapter so which **bleep** one is it???

Tags (6)
0 Kudos
bren7473
1 Nickel

Re: Dell Inspiron 5577 2.5" Sata drive bay size. 7mm or

I am trying to add an sshd hybrid drive since my 250gb ssd m.2 drive was practically immediately filled up and I don't want to spend a million dollars on another large sata ssd drive when i don't need the speed for basic data storage and sshd or hdd SATA drive would work fine for a fraction of the cost. So, would this be compatible with a dell inspiron 5577?
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-2-5-Inch-ST1000LM014-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01DCRZIB8/ref=sr_1_10?...

0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

The drive needs to be 2.5" 7 mm or slimmer.  You also need a cable, bracket and screws (these will need to be ordered from Dell Spare Parts).

You can easily find a 1T drive brand-new (not refurbished) for around or less  than the cost of that refurbished drive -- shop around.

bren7473
1 Nickel

Thanks for your help. It turns out my 5577 that only came with a m.2 ssd actually already had the hdd cable and bracket. Just need screws. Thanks for clarifying the 7mm question for me!

0 Kudos
bren7473
1 Nickel

Update: Dell 5577 requires a 7mm hdd (or smaller? definitely can't fit bigger.).
The dell 5577 (at least mine) already included the hdd housing and connectors.
It works with hybrid drives. *SSHD
Seagate hybrid drives (on amazon) don't come with screws and require m2X3mm screws for installation.

0 Kudos