ABkr
1 Copper

Dell G5 5587 High Spec - Thermal / Power Throttling ?

Hey everyone,

Just bought a new Dell G5 5587, with the below specs:

• Intel i7 8750H
  • 16GB Ram
  • Nvidia GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 512gb SSD + 1TB HDD
  • 4K (UHD) Screen

I am actually overall happy with it and I must say the build quality is a lot more decent than I expected after watching tons of Youtube videos before deciding on the G5.

Now we get to the part I'm not so happy about... I am not getting consistent results in games, and well... this is advertised as a "Gaming" laptop. Sometimes games run fine on high settings, sometimes I can't even get them to run decent on low settings. To add a bit of context, I'm running all games at 1080p(4K gaming on a Max-Q 1060 is not really achievable with decent settings). Now I'm still running it on the BIOS it came with, 1.3.0.0, but I have updated Windows 10 with all the newest patches as well as all of my drivers.

After reading up on the topic online, it seems like the problem might be the 1060 + 8750H combination, as they generate a lot more heat than the G5 can disperse... Which from the start sounds like they shouldn't have put something that won't give consistent performance in there.

I've found numerous solutions, from using thermal paste to repaste the CPU, to thermal pads, cooling stands, undervolting, etc. but it doesn't seem normal to have to do this to a few days old laptop...

If anyone has any advice, I'm looking forward to finding a fix...

Labels (4)
0 Kudos