seabass450
1 Copper

E5440 Point Stick in Center of Keyboard does not work!

So evidently Dell released the E5440 with a backlit keyboard option and a center point stick between the G,H,B.  Unfortunately this is the first hardware I have ever seen Dell release that has no support on its intended product.... the E5440.  Why does the point stick in the center NOT work!?!  The option to control it doesn't even exist in the latest TouchPad Drivers (Jan 2019) for the E5440.  Why could Dell release a keyboard for this unit without support for the touch stick in the center?

Please dell ADD support for the touch point stick!  This is a deal killer for me!

Labels (3)
0 Kudos

Re: E5440 Point Stick in Center of Keyboard does not work!

@seabass450 wrote:

So evidently Dell released the E5440 with a backlit keyboard option and a center point stick between the G,H,B.  Unfortunately this is the first hardware I have ever seen Dell release that has no support on its intended product.... the E5440.  Why does the point stick in the center NOT work!?!  The option to control it doesn't even exist in the latest TouchPad Drivers (Jan 2019) for the E5440.  Why could Dell release a keyboard for this unit without support for the touch stick in the center?

Please dell ADD support for the touch point stick!  This is a deal killer for me!

@seabass450 I find it strange that we would remove trackstick control from Dell Touchpad application as it's a fundamental part of the pointing devices suite.

On the version I am running, I rightclick the touchpad icon in the system tray to open up the application
The system gives me three icons at the top of the app, touchpad, trackstick and mouse
Click the middle icon with the trackstick on it. Its called "Pointstick"
You should have an option below it to disable the Pointstick on and off.

Do you have these options available?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
seabass450
1 Copper

I have the latest touch pad drivers installed running the latest build of Win 10 Pro with the latest Bios for the E5440.  I installed the lighted keyboard with pointer stick in the middle DP/N-03KK86.  When I click on my touchpad, it does not show the pointing stick option in the options.  Note in the photos below that the version number is the latest as well.  See photos below.  The lighted keyboard works as its supposed though, but the center pointer stick does not.

Now either there is bad batch of keyboards that were manufactured that a bunch of folks installed or its just co-incidence but there are several other posts with folks having the same issue.  One guy posted in 2015 about the issues with no response.  Another guy in 2017 responded to that same post below.   And there are even more posts elsewhere I found elsewhere on google of folks having the same issues with the E5440.  What is the exact dell part no for the E5440 lighted keyboard with point stick?  I installed a new DP/N-03KK86 in mine that I found from ebay (new).  Personally I think something is not correct on the Dell side in terms of the ALPS driver or there is a reason why the drive is not recognizing the point stick on all these E5440s.

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Dell-E5440-Backlit-Keyboard-Pointstick-Not-...

Capture.PNGIMAG0690.jpg

0 Kudos

@seabass450 wrote:

I have the latest touch pad drivers installed running the latest build of Win 10 Pro with the latest Bios for the E5440.  I installed the lighted keyboard with pointer stick in the middle DP/N-03KK86.  When I click on my touchpad, it does not show the pointing stick option in the options.  Note in the photos below that the version number is the latest as well.  See photos below.  The lighted keyboard works as its supposed though, but the center pointer stick does not.

Now either there is bad batch of keyboards that were manufactured that a bunch of folks installed or its just co-incidence but there are several other posts with folks having the same issue.  One guy posted in 2015 about the issues with no response.  Another guy in 2017 responded to that same post below.   And there are even more posts elsewhere I found elsewhere on google of folks having the same issues with the E5440.  What is the exact dell part no for the E5440 lighted keyboard with point stick?  I installed a new DP/N-03KK86 in mine that I found from ebay (new).  Personally I think something is not correct on the Dell side in terms of the ALPS driver or there is a reason why the drive is not recognizing the point stick on all these E5440s.

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Dell-E5440-Backlit-Keyboard-Pointstick-Not-...

Capture.PNGIMAG0690.jpg

@seabass450 thanks for the detailed response. I thought this issue might be a hardware mismatch but it's not. Depending on the style of keyboard, there are additional ribbon cables for functionality, i.e. one for back light, one for trackstick.

The keyboard that you have purchased is the correct part for that system with dual pointing and backlight built in. This made me consider the cable being problematic as it's the only way of connecting the keyboard to the motherboard. However, there is only one keyboard cable available for that system.

Checking the BIOS, there is no option for enabling / disabling trackstick functionality, only backlight functionality. That leads me to believe that the issue is with the ALPS driver / touchpad suite itself.

My system is an E5450 with dual pointing backlight and im running version A00 of that touchpad suite with the trackstick option working fine. 

Have you tried installing the previous revisions of the touchpad suite to see if the functionality returns - 
A04 March 18 - https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=0D88J&osCode=WT64A&produc...
A00 March 17 - https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=9HG8R&osCode=WT64A&produc...

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

@seabass450 after further parts investigation I have found that the functionality is not related to the ribbon cable, but the palmrest. There are various different palmrests for this system depending on whether you have a fingerprint reader and whether you have a dual pointing or single pointing keyboard.

For full functionality you need to also replace the corresponding palmrest.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Vincent Z
1 Copper

Hello @Dell-Alan D 

Just installed the backlit keyboard.  My E5440 originally came without backlit and without pointing stick.

Of course, like others have mentioned, the backlight works, but the pointing stick (trackpoint) does not.

So, Alan …  since you have posted the message that if you replace the internal keyboard, you ALSO have to replace the palmrest….  can you please verify the Dell part number of the palmrest that will enable the pointing stick to function?

I do not need the fingerprint reader.  I do want pointing stick and touchpad to function.  THANKS!

0 Kudos

@Vincent Z wrote:

Hello @Dell-Alan D 

Just installed the backlit keyboard.  My E5440 originally came without backlit and without pointing stick.

Of course, like others have mentioned, the backlight works, but the pointing stick (trackpoint) does not.

So, Alan …  since you have posted the message that if you replace the internal keyboard, you ALSO have to replace the palmrest….  can you please verify the Dell part number of the palmrest that will enable the pointing stick to function?

I do not need the fingerprint reader.  I do want pointing stick and touchpad to function.  THANKS!

@Vincent Z it's not possible to have dual pointing without the fingerprint reader.

I have two parts listed for dual pointing palmrest - 261MD and GCDTG

I hope this helps.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell