KnittinCowboy
1 Copper

Inspiron 2500 total system restore

I would like to do a total system restore on my Dell Inspiron 2500.  My system restore will not work.  How do I do it?  I thought it would be easy with a "restore disk".  No such luck with a Dell, unlike my Compaq tabletop.  I have the System Software cd and the Re-installation cd for Windows XP Home Edtion.  I up-graded to Professional and it has been giving me problems since, I would like to get the laptop back to factory settings.  Thanks Kc
0 Kudos
Denny Denham
6 Thallium

Re: Inspiron 2500 total system restore

KnittinCowboy,

If you upgraded to XP Professional rather than doing a clean install that may be most of the problem. You can do a clean install of XP Professional using an upgrade CD (you will be prompted to insert your XP Home CD early in the process). Set your CD-ROM drive as the first boot device in BIOS then restart with the XP Pro Upgrade CD in the drive and follow the procedure given here. After XP is installed you must install your system drivers then your applications. Instructions for this are here.

Back up all your perishable data before reinstalling as when you delete your C:\ partition at step #5 of the installation, create a new C:\, and format it, your hard drives contents will be erased.

0 Kudos
KnittinCowboy
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 2500 total system restore

I did that and all it did was portition off the Windows XP Professional and make a new portition for the Home Edition.  Now the computer has even more problems.  How do I get to the command prompt before windows, so I can just re-format the hard drive, erase everything, then re-loads Windows XP Home Edition? Thanks  Kc
0 Kudos