davep1
1 Copper

Re: Optiplex 760 AHCI Imaging Problem

I was able to install XP fine using F6 during setup. You just need to make sure you choose the correct driver obviously.

I ended up logging a call on the issue. A few Dell engineers looked at it and their advise was to include the "OEMDriversPath" line in sysprep.inf file. (Previously I was manually entering the paths into HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DevicePath so as to avoid the 4096 character limit in sysprep.inf). At the same time that I added the OEMDriversPath line I also had rolled back to an earlier version of my image due to another issue (I had noticed that one of the devices in device manager was showing a resource conflict - the ISAPNP Read Data Port)

Initially I thought that adding the OEMDriversPath line had fixed the issue, but that made no sense, so I then re-created the image using my old method of just using the DevicePath registry key, and it still worked - I was able to image an Optiplex 760 in AHCI mode without any problems.

All that I can conclude from this is that there was probably something wrong with my image which was fixed when I rolled back to an older version of the image.

My advise would be to look in device manager on the machine you are creating your image from and check for anything odd. Also try using the OEMDriversPath line if you aren't already, just incase, though I doubt this is the problem.

Here's the relevent lines in my sysprep.inf so you can see a version that DOES WORK. The iaAHCI.inf file referenced is version 8.8.0.1009 of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver.

[Unattended]
    InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386
    TargetPath=\WINDOWS
    ExtendOemPartition=0
    OEMSkipEula=Yes
    ConfirmHardware=No
    OverwriteOEMFilesOnupgrade=No
    DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
    UpdateInstalledDrivers=Yes

[Sysprep]
    BuildMassStorageSection=No

[SysprepMassStorage]
    ; -----------------------------------------------------------------
    ; Windows drivers
    (LINES GENERATED BY RUNNING "SYSPREP.EXE -BMSD" GO HERE)
    ; Third party drivers
    ;
    ; Intel
    ;
    ; Intel(R) ESB2 SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ESB2 SATA RAID Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iastor.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller / Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller / Intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iastor.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller / Intel(R) 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH7MDH SATA RAID Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iastor.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH8R/DH/DO SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iastor.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E SATA RAID Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iastor.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf
    ; Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106=%systemdrive%\SystemFiles\drivers\7\7\iaahci.inf

Good Luck,

Dave

0 Kudos