ajayaa
Bronze

U3818DW, MacBook Pro via USB Type-C, USB 2.0

Folks

I have the U3818DW 38" USB-C monitor.   I can't believe I am the only one having this issue.   I am using this monitor with 2016 touch bar macbook pro.   USB-C works great.  Charged my mac and also drives the monitor.   However, all the USB ports in the monitor ONLY work at USB-2 speed.  I even tried the USB Upstream cables to see they help. So. How to get the USB ports to work at USB-3 speed when connected to USB-C?

Thank you.

0 Kudos

RE: U3818DW | Monitor USB Ports work at 2.0 Speed when connected to USB-C Macbook Pro

Dell cannot speak to the non-validated Apple proprietary hardware, operating system, and drivers. You should ask the Apple users on their Forum for troubleshooting opinions. We only tested Windows computers on the U3818DW.

In theory, the U3818DW USB 3.0 Upstream Cable should be connected directly to a computers USB 3.0 port. Then, the U3818DW two side and two bottom USB 3.0 Downstream ports would achieve 5 Gbps data rate. See page 20 in the User's Guide =

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message:
Dell Monitor Service Tag number, 20 digit S/N, A0x revision
Dell PC Service Tag number

Drivers and Downloads
Driver order

0 Kudos
ajayaa
Bronze

RE: U3818DW | Monitor USB Ports work at 2.0 Speed when connected to USB-C Macbook Pro

Ha.  90% of of your target user base for this monitor is Mac folks.  and there are few Macbook Pros with USB-C.  So please try to make an effort and test it with Apple Hardware too.

Anyway.. As per the spec you pasted up, it looks like USB3.0 would transfer data at USB 2.0 speed.   And NO the upstream port doesn't help when connected to a USB-C laptop.

What a mess.  I will probably return the monitor.

0 Kudos

"90% of of your target user base for this monitor is Mac folks."
From where did you get that data? The pre-sales and support questions we are getting via chat and phone are Windows users.

"please try to make an effort and test it with Apple Hardware too."
The team decided before it ever went on sale to only validate this model on Windows as shown the driver,

Again, you should ask the Apple users on their Forum for troubleshooting.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

Drivers and Downloads
Driver order

0 Kudos
DY77
Copper

Re: U3818DW, MacBook Pro, USB speeds

I can try to answer this, the reason you are only seeing USB 2 speeds is because your display is taking up a lot of the bandwidth to drive it.  There's only so much data that can be pushed via the USB C cable.

0 Kudos

Re: U3818DW, MacBook Pro, USB speeds

The Displays Team has validated DY77 statement.

If the source (laptop) video out is USB Type-C, due to bandwidth contstraints, the monitor USB 3.0 downstream ports will operate at USB 2.0 speed.

If you want the monitor USB 3.0 downstream ports to operate at USB 3.0 speed, the source (laptop) video out must be either DP, mDP, HDMI.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

Drivers and Downloads
Driver order

0 Kudos