Halftrip
1 Copper

PowerEdge 1950 with failed MY412 card

I have two PowerEdge 1950 servers that came with MY412 cards installed.  From what I can gather, they are SAS 5i non-RAID.  That is fine, except that both MY412 cards have failed.  When I contacted Dell for replacements, they told me the only replacements available were WX072 cards (which appear to be PERC)  They physically install, but the single cable I have almost isn't long enough to reach the card (I can make it reach, tho', if I don't close the cover.)  The servers boot and see the card, but fail to see any drives connected to the servers.  I have tried exhaustively to find the correct drivers for the card and it seems like I find them, only to have the server still fail to see any drives connected. I purchased MY412 cards from a different source than Dell and replaced them and all is fine. My question is that the WX072 cards cost over $500 each (the MY412 were about $50 each). Is there any way to use those cards so I’m not out $1000? Is it the cable? I can’t find a part number for the longer cable which I can find in pictures. I don’t need RAID on these machines. Do I need different drives? A different backplane?

0 Kudos

RE: PowerEdge 1950 with failed MY412 card

The WX072 controller cards are Perc 5/i's.  Did they also include the battery, holder and cable?  Did they come with a memory DIMM on the board? 

The cable is the same. It attaches to the controller on port closest to the front.  Here is a link to the cable routing information for either the SAS 5/i or the Perc 5/i , page 56 and following: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/906/t/19540862/reply.aspx 

Also, if you have installed the Perc 5/i, enter the Ctrl R bios to set up your RAID array.  Spiceworks has an excellent tutorial on setting up an array on the Dell Perc controllers with the Ctrl R bios: http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/8781-configuring-virtual-disks-on-a-perc-5-6-h700-contro...

Regards,

Geoff P
Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device!
(iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos