dang-2015
1 Copper

My iPad can only connect to my computer over local WiFi, not 3G

My iPad can only connect to my computer over local WiFi, not 3G

I can connect to my iPad on the local network, using my local IP address, but when I enter the IP address I find at "Whatismyip.net", I can't connect. The error is "could not connect to server".

I am using a Google Apps account, so I had to do the manual setup - I reviewed all the steps, but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I had posted this in the wrong forum before, so I'm re-posting here, with the answers to the question the admin on the other forum asked me:

1- What is the version NUMBER of PocketCloud you are using on your mobile device
- Version number 2.2.134, it was the latest version on iTunes, I just downloaded it last week

2- What is the model of the mobile device you are using(e.g. Evo, iPhone, iPhone4, iPad, Xoom)?
- I'm using an iPad 2 running iOS 5.1

3- What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Remote computer (e.g. Lion)
- Snow Leopard

4- What are the exact error messages (if any) that you are getting:
a- on your MOBILE DEVICE?:
- "Could not connect to server"

b- on your REMOTE COMPUTER?:
- There is no error message on the Remote COmputer

5- Have you installed the PocketCloud Windows or Mac Companion on your Remote Computer?
- Yes

6- If yes, what version NUMBER (e.g. 2.3.7, 2.0.22S)?(REQUIRED)
- 2.0.27s

7- Do you have Port-forwarding setup on your router? See Users Guide below for more details
Yes, I set it up according to the manual setup instructions since I'm on a Google Apps account. VNC set to port 5900.

The only thing that I can add is that the ISP in the router setup is the local ISP - it won't allow me to add the "Whatismyisp" address, so - not being a tech person - I'm not 100% sure how the 'external' IP address connects to the internal one.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

-- Dan

Tags (2)
0 Kudos