bpierre
1 Copper

Re: XPS 13 9370 Ubuntu full disk encryption

Hi @RAN_Feld,

I've just received an XPS 13 9370 including Ubuntu 18.04 and thanks to @dell-mario l and @Christophe14 messages on this thread I succeeded in formatting the whole disk with encryption (using an AZERTY keyboard).

Please follow this instructions at your own risk (I can't be responsible of any damage to your computer) and only if you understand exactly what you're doing.
Note that this will format your whole SSD disk and that you will lost the recovery partition (but you will keep its content on a USB drive).

1 - Download the dell-recovery_1.60_all.deb Github following this link: 

https://github.com/dell/dell-recovery/releases/download/1.60/dell-recovery_1.60_all.deb

2 - Mount the recovery partition of your embed SSD disk, for example using the following command: sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /mnt/

3 - Copy the downloaded file into the /debs/main folder of the mounted recovery partition: cp dell-recovery_1.60_all.deb /mnt/debs/main/

4 - Unmount the recovery SSD partition: umount /mnt/

5 - Create an ISO recovery image using the dell recovery tool

6 - Insert a blank USB flash memory and create a bootable recovery key using the ubuntu "Startup Disk Creator"

7 - Reboot your computer, press F12 and go to the BIOS setup

8 - Switch the boot option to legacy, save and restart

9 - Hit F12 key again to show the startup menu and select the USB key to boot

10 - At the beginning of the setup, tick the second choice allowing to resize the partitions

11 - Choose to format the whole disk and tick the options for LVM and encryption

12 - When asked for an encryption password, use a simple password that you can enter with both QUERTY or AZERTY keyboards like "eeee"

13 - Follow all the steps of the setup normally

14 - On first reboot, I had a bug with language selection (I couldn't choose other language than English, but don't worry it can be changed after). Configure your keyboard as AZERTY if needed.

15 - Once setup finished, restart, press F12, go to the BIOS setup and set boot option to UEFI.

16 - Boot to ubuntu, login and change the system default language if you need

17 - Change your SSD partition password to something more robust than "eeee" using the disk utility

18 - Keep the USB recovery key to a safe place

19 - Run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade to keep the system up to date.

I hope that theses instructions will help some others.
If needed, don't hesitate to ask for more information before doing anything.

Good day guys,
Bp