zhou_norman
1 Copper

VM restore from VBA on DR site DD

Hi expert,

We have set up VM backup using VBA  to primary DD and  clone the data to another DD. If the primary DD failed, during the vm restore, whether networker will choose the saveset on secondary DD automatically? Or whether we need to choose clone pool to do the restore?

Thank you for your reply.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
crazyrov
3 Zinc

Re: VM restore from VBA on DR site DD

As long as the primary volume is online the restore will always ask for the primary volume. Incase you want to use the clone copy of the backup for the restore, you will have to mark the respective saveset as suspect. Or incase your primary volume is not in use you can unmount it and try the restore again.

Incase your primary DD failed (i assume you mean if it is down) then it obvious that none of the devices on the primary device are available and in this case the secondary or clone copy should be requested.

0 Kudos
zhou_norman
1 Copper

If the primary DD failed, networker will automatically choose secondary or clone copy or we need manually choose the clone pool?

0 Kudos
crazyrov
3 Zinc

If the primary fails and the devices are offline in NetWorker then it will automatically choose the clone copies from your DR site.

0 Kudos
kshariprakash
1 Nickel

Hi,

You need to select the secondary Copy on other DD manually during the restore.

VBA / EBR restores will happen through the Vsphere Web client -> EMC Backup & Recover -> Select the EBR / NVP Appliance -> Restore Tab.

You will see the VM's which are backedup & will show it description Like , Backup date /time & Backup Location.

You can select the Secondary Copy which was cloned to secondary DataDomain.

HTH

Regards

Hari Prakash.

mardios
1 Copper

Hello,

Did you tried it ?

Because we tested it and it didn't work like that.

DD1 is powered off, if you tried to select replica in vcenter view and launch restore action then you will get : Error Code 22552: Backup does not exist...

If someone try it sucessfully, please let us know !

Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
kshariprakash
1 Nickel

Hi,

This is a known issue which was already reported to Networker engineering.

You can contact EMC support team to get more details about the issue.

HTH

Regards

Hari Prakash.

0 Kudos
ble1
5 Iridium

Do you have NW id reference for the problem?

0 Kudos
xbogdan
1 Nickel

I have the latest 8.1.1.6 version of networker. I cannot restore VM from replica when primary DD is down (although VBA sees that primary copy is off). Does anyone know the solution to the problem?

0 Kudos
ale_casa
1 Copper

i have the same problem on a disaster recovery environment.

I have replicate the NW server with SRM and in the dr environment i have redeployed the vba with same network configuration of primary vba.

I have the checkpoint on the DR Datadomain, i tried to restored the CP from DD but the restore failed.

in the manual (Networker vmware integration guide) i have see that for restored the checkpoint the command is

./ebr-rollback-utils.sh -forcerollback checkpoint

i have see that this command search on the /data01, tomorrow i would like to try to restore from nw server the saveset on the /data01 and after try to launch the restore of checkpoint. I don't know if this it can be a solution 😃

0 Kudos