8 Krypton

Re: Why does RP enter "Regulated" role on source during CDP

The “Allow regulation” check box under the Consistency Group Protection Policy has nothing to do with a Consistency Group being placed in regulated state. I know this is a bit confusing so let me explain the difference.

The “Allow Regulation” Check box in the policy tells RecoverPoint that in the event that RecoverPoint cannot replicate the data being changed on the LUNS in a consistency group, do not allow the host to continue , i.e no acknowledgement of the write completion unless RecoverPoint has recorded the change.   We typically do not recommend this setting and it is there for customer that would rather impact application performance rather than have the possibility of replication lag due to bandwidth constraints of some component in the replication infrastructure.

In RP 3.1 we introduced a protection mechanism called Control action regulation. In the rare case a consistency group copy is going in and out or states (highload, paused, init, active , back to highload) or otherwise operating improperly in the system and with the potential of impacting other consistency groups, the copy will be placed in “Regulated state”, in which the system will protect itself by not taking any control action for the copy for 24 hours. This feature helps limit the adverse affect of the copy operating improperly effecting other copies.

Reading the description of your scenario , you may be experience a bug that was in the initial release of Control Action Regulation which can effect all the CG's not just the regulated CG's, and a fix has been released for this, see Primus emc222454 for a workaround (unregulate_all_copies command from the CLI prompt.) for the versions prior to 3.2.2 

-rick