StellaIndigo's Posts

StellaIndigo's Posts

OK. That sorted the problem out. I installed the Dell Solution app and everything works fine now. Many thanks for your help. Stella
I have 2 Dell Dimensions 8100's both running windows 2000 sp 4. Both have the latest service packs installed including the Dell chip sets etc. When I look at my hardware in device manager I have 1 ... See more...
I have 2 Dell Dimensions 8100's both running windows 2000 sp 4. Both have the latest service packs installed including the Dell chip sets etc. When I look at my hardware in device manager I have 1 unknown pci device, on both machines. I can't find out what it is or which dell update to apply to resolve the issue. I assume it must be a motherboard component or dell specific device. The machines have a network card, nvidia, and sound card, all installed ok. any ideas?    
OK I got so fed up trying to resolve this issue that I reformatted my hard drive and started again. As far as I can see there is no way to recover from this senario with the state my pc was in. ... See more...
OK I got so fed up trying to resolve this issue that I reformatted my hard drive and started again. As far as I can see there is no way to recover from this senario with the state my pc was in.  
Thanks for the tip but I already tried last known good configuration. All options from the advanced boot menu result in the blue screen of death and the same error message. Booting from my original... See more...
Thanks for the tip but I already tried last known good configuration. All options from the advanced boot menu result in the blue screen of death and the same error message. Booting from my original Windows 2000 Pro installation disc and selecting Repair then Repair Console is the only way I get get into the machine. Stella
I have a Dell Dimension 8100 running Windows 2000 Service Pack 4. Everything has been running OK until today. I downloaded and installed the Dell/Intel ATA update (Z0108T10.EXE). The patched installe... See more...
I have a Dell Dimension 8100 running Windows 2000 Service Pack 4. Everything has been running OK until today. I downloaded and installed the Dell/Intel ATA update (Z0108T10.EXE). The patched installed OK and requested a reboot to continue installation. After the reboot the system started OK and again requested a final reboot to finish the install. Now my system will not boot. I get the blue screen of death KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED in pfc.sys after the first white on black progress bar shows 100% (the windows logo flicks on screen briefly). The pfc.sys file is pat of my veritas cd/dvd writer installation which has been working fine for over 1 year. I can't boot into any mode Safe/debug etc. Everything gives the BSOD. I can enter recovery mode from my original installation CD and navigate around the winnt folder. I tried disabling the IntelATA service from starting at boot but this did not help changed BSOD error tp INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE. (IntelATA re-enabled again) Anyone know how I uninstall, remove the update or repair my system so I can boot to Win2K again? Thanks in advance Stella.
OK I understand that the BIOS not installed message is bit of a red herring and is not the problem. I have managed to get the machine booted but it's not consistant. Once up the machine stays up an... See more...
OK I understand that the BIOS not installed message is bit of a red herring and is not the problem. I have managed to get the machine booted but it's not consistant. Once up the machine stays up and passes all the diag tests. When booting sometimes I get the system scanning the SCSI bus and identifying devices, other times not. Any ideas?
My PowerEdge 1550 has developed a fault. I am unable to boot the machine. When starting I get the messages, Adaptec AIC-7899 SCSI BIOS Build.. Host Adapter Configuration Error SCSI BIOS Not I... See more...
My PowerEdge 1550 has developed a fault. I am unable to boot the machine. When starting I get the messages, Adaptec AIC-7899 SCSI BIOS Build.. Host Adapter Configuration Error SCSI BIOS Not Installed! No Boot device available strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for set up utility The Floppy and CD drive seem to work OK, and I can run up the Assist CD but not boot down to the utilities. Dell BIOS A07 install. Onboard SCSI shows as present but no SCSI devices are listed in the boot sequence, only floppy,cd and net pxe. The hard disc has power and the activity light flickers during power up, but no other activity after that. I get no POST beeps, except for a doublt beep when the No boot message appears. OS installed is/was (take your pick) win2k. Help!