curtda's Posts

curtda's Posts

I have Dell   AY410T1 speakers that have worked great for the last 2 years, but now the volume control doesn't work smoothly (lack of a better description.)  When i adjust the volume on the dial, the... See more...
I have Dell   AY410T1 speakers that have worked great for the last 2 years, but now the volume control doesn't work smoothly (lack of a better description.)  When i adjust the volume on the dial, the sound crackles or jumps either higher or lower.  I've double checked all the plugs and they are connected properly.  What am I missing? Thanks (in advance) for your help. Curt 
I was trying to format by using the right-click  drop down menu, but maybe you've explained why that doesn't work.  I back up Quicken with a DVD-RW and Quicken doesn't recognize the DVD when it's in ... See more...
I was trying to format by using the right-click  drop down menu, but maybe you've explained why that doesn't work.  I back up Quicken with a DVD-RW and Quicken doesn't recognize the DVD when it's in the proper drive.  I thought the current DVD might be the problem, so tried a new blank DVD-RW and that is how I got to the format problem.  I'll try formating via Roxio. Any other advice?   Thanks for your help!
Hi Osprey4, I am back again.  Thanks for your response!  I followed the regedit steps (changed the drives from 1 to 2.)  Now, I can burn CD-R!  However, I input a blank DVD-RW and I couldn't format... See more...
Hi Osprey4, I am back again.  Thanks for your response!  I followed the regedit steps (changed the drives from 1 to 2.)  Now, I can burn CD-R!  However, I input a blank DVD-RW and I couldn't format the disc.  I looked up MS's suggestion and they said to make sure I had all the updates installed.  However, I had to un-install SP3 as both drives didn't have any -RW capabilities.  Should I reinstall SP3?  I don't want to make things worse than they already are!!   Curtda
I have an XPS 400 and just solved a problem where neither drive would read a CD.  This was fixed by uninstalling service pack 3.  Now each drive can read discs, but can't record on either.  I looked ... See more...
I have an XPS 400 and just solved a problem where neither drive would read a CD.  This was fixed by uninstalling service pack 3.  Now each drive can read discs, but can't record on either.  I looked in the properties and have the box check to enable CD recording.  I've also reinstalled each driver.  Any ideas?
Thanks for responding.  The recording tab has always been part of the properties and the "enable CD recording on this drive box" is checked.  This was the first place I looked when the problem happen... See more...
Thanks for responding.  The recording tab has always been part of the properties and the "enable CD recording on this drive box" is checked.  This was the first place I looked when the problem happened.  I have noticed that if I check it in a couple of weeks, the box is unchecked.  Thanks for the articles in your message.  Reinstalling XP is good idea, but I need to get some media to backup all the needed files.
I have an XPS 400 and just solved a problem where neither drive would read a CD.  This was fixed by uninstalling service pack 3.  Now each drive can read discs, but can't record on either.  I looked ... See more...
I have an XPS 400 and just solved a problem where neither drive would read a CD.  This was fixed by uninstalling service pack 3.  Now each drive can read discs, but can't record on either.  I looked in the properties and have the box check to enable CD recording.  I've also reinstalled each driver.  Any ideas?
We solved this problem by uninstalling service pack 3.  I can read discs in either drive, but they are read only.  I will open a new discussion on that issue.
williamkidd, I check both drives and the "prompt me each time to choose an action" was selected.  One point of interest was when I selected each drive, I was prompted to insert the Roxio CD for add... See more...
williamkidd, I check both drives and the "prompt me each time to choose an action" was selected.  One point of interest was when I selected each drive, I was prompted to insert the Roxio CD for additional installation.  However, since neither drive can read this type of CD, it is a catch-22.  Any thoughts of what else we might try?
Sorry about not including the operating system (Operating system?  Yea...I got one!) and I am running XP Pro.  I haven't installed any new games within the last 3 months, nor do I have any emulat... See more...
Sorry about not including the operating system (Operating system?  Yea...I got one!) and I am running XP Pro.  I haven't installed any new games within the last 3 months, nor do I have any emulation software.  When I ran the Dell Diagnostics, I used the Roxio CD in the CD drive and a purchased movie DVD in the DVD drive.    What will VLC Player bring to the table? (Not that I question your expertise!)    One item that concerns me about PC restore is without either drive recognizing a data disc, I would have to back up on a flash drive, which I suppose isn't the worst thing in the world.   Thanks for your continued help!
williamkid, I didn't delete any of the text just to make sure you see all the good stuff!! Thanks!!!    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp. C:\Doc... See more...
williamkid, I didn't delete any of the text just to make sure you see all the good stuff!! Thanks!!!    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp. C:\Documents and Settings\Curt Douma>cd\ C:\>cd devcon\i386 C:\DevCon\i386>devcon stack gencdrom IDE\CDROMHL-DT-ST_DVD+-RW_GWA4164B_______________E113____\5&286E6A4&1&0.1.0     Name: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B     Setup Class: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} CDROM     Upper filters:         redbook     Controlling service:         cdrom     Lower filters:         imapi IDE\CDROMSONY_CD-RW__CRX217E_____________________1DS2____\5&286E6A4&1&0.0.0     Name: SONY CD-RW  CRX217E     Setup Class: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} CDROM     Upper filters:         redbook     Controlling service:         cdrom     Lower filters:         imapi USBSTOR\CDROM&VEN_HP&PROD_PHOTOSMART_DVD&REV_NU01\7&283B6B1B&0&MY76RB701004YH&1     Name: HP PhotoSmart DVD USB Device     Setup Class: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} CDROM     Upper filters:         redbook     Controlling service:         cdrom     Lower filters:         imapi 3 matching device(s) found. C:\DevCon\i386>
Thanks for responding!  When I input a disc in either drive, my computer doesn't display the CD.  When I double click on the drive with the CD, I get the "please insert a disc into drive E:."
I have a XPS400 with a Sony CD-RW and a DVD+-RW.  A couple weeks back, I uninstalled a bunch of programs and missed up these drives.  Both drives are error free in device manager and I ran the dia... See more...
I have a XPS400 with a Sony CD-RW and a DVD+-RW.  A couple weeks back, I uninstalled a bunch of programs and missed up these drives.  Both drives are error free in device manager and I ran the diagnosis (F12 at startup) and both drives tested fine.  I uninstalled and reinstalled both drive's drivers.  The CDRW drive will read a music CD, but won't read a program CD (Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creater 6.)  The DVD drive won't read a movie DVD or my DVD-RW Quicken back up disc.    Where should I go from here?
I'm having the same problem with my XPS 400 and I don't have a floppy drive.  Any other options?   Thanks!!!!