Sherr's Posts

Sherr's Posts

I want to play DVD,s from Great Britain which I beleive is REGION 2 on my Dell U.S. PC (Region 1). Also I want to play these DVD's on a DVD Player that can be connected to my PC.. Phillips U.S. says ... See more...
I want to play DVD,s from Great Britain which I beleive is REGION 2 on my Dell U.S. PC (Region 1). Also I want to play these DVD's on a DVD Player that can be connected to my PC.. Phillips U.S. says that they will not sell ALL REGION DVD players in the U.S. So do other DVD manufacturers.This is because of copywrite limitations in the U.S. But Amazon sells ALL Region DVD players in the U.S. Does this mean that the All Region players sold by Amazon are manufactured in Europe. Then if that is the case are they 115v 60Hz. Does anyone have any experience with All region players in the U.S.  Dell 8250   (1 Meg RAM  Firewire) Sherr  
Recently my Dimension 8250 has been running slow. Especially when I download graphic content. I am told that SP3 will speed up my web search and eliminate the download problem. Any comments on this a... See more...
Recently my Dimension 8250 has been running slow. Especially when I download graphic content. I am told that SP3 will speed up my web search and eliminate the download problem. Any comments on this and  SP3.         Dimension 8250  Windows XP SP 2  1GB RAM     Kaspersky Anti Virus   Sherr  
I plan on shipping my Dimension 8250 from the Unites States to France. My concern is the line voltage and frequency of 240 volts and 50 HZ in France.  There is a switch under the plug on the rear of ... See more...
I plan on shipping my Dimension 8250 from the Unites States to France. My concern is the line voltage and frequency of 240 volts and 50 HZ in France.  There is a switch under the plug on the rear of the tower. But it doesn't say what the other voltage that you switch to is. Then there is the frequency. Does the 8250 use a crystal or the line frequency to set the clock and system reference timing? So do I have to worry about the 50HZ. Dimension 8250 SP2 1GB RAM  Windows XP Sherr
When an E-Mail message received in the IN box of Outlook Express is deleated then deleating the message becomes complicated. Deleating from the Outlook Express Deleated folder only moves items to the... See more...
When an E-Mail message received in the IN box of Outlook Express is deleated then deleating the message becomes complicated. Deleating from the Outlook Express Deleated folder only moves items to the ITEMS.DBX  file folder. This from a Google search.  How do I find the ITEMS.DBX folder? Then I assume that you just right click to delete these messages. Correct?  Now if I only desire to move selected items from the deleated items Outlook Express folder how do I do this. One at a time? Or must all messages be deleated. From Google it also says that to delete from the ITEMS.DBX file folder that you should COMPACT the messages. Why?  What I want to do is to delete messages from my computer! Not as simple as it should be! Dimension 8250 Windows XP SP2 Sherr 
I am using Outlook Express. It is my understanding that when INBOX messages are deleated they go to the Deleated Items folder. But they are still on disk.  Apparently you have to get to the dleated i... See more...
I am using Outlook Express. It is my understanding that when INBOX messages are deleated they go to the Deleated Items folder. But they are still on disk.  Apparently you have to get to the dleated items.dbx folder to really deleate these messages. If this is correct them how do I find this folder. Apparently there is another step required prior to deleating items.dbx. I thingk one of my meassages is contaminated. So I want to permanently delete all if not most of mt deleated mail . Sherr
I had 4500 EMail messages. My DSL providers server became overloaded and I could not receive any E-Mail. Verizon said that this is a virus and they reset their server. Now I can receive E-Mail. To fu... See more...
I had 4500 EMail messages. My DSL providers server became overloaded and I could not receive any E-Mail. Verizon said that this is a virus and they reset their server. Now I can receive E-Mail. To further protect myself I desire to delete all messages from my mail deleted file. How do I do this? Any potential problems?  Also I desire to delete contents of my desk top trash can. Is this recommended and how is this done. I run Kaspersky Anti Virus and Windows Defender and set the Windows Firewall. Dimension 8250  Windows XP  SP2 Sherr
I have never run Windows XP defrag or any disk defrag. I was wondering why PC users use purchased defrag software when XP Accessories includes defrag. Since I don't have anything except XP defrag I w... See more...
I have never run Windows XP defrag or any disk defrag. I was wondering why PC users use purchased defrag software when XP Accessories includes defrag. Since I don't have anything except XP defrag I will use that. I think that my downloads and web searching will speed up after I defrag my drive. True? How long will a defrag take? Any other inputs will be appreciated. Sherr   Dimension 8250 Windows XP SP2
Jpeg photo attachments are being sent to me via Outlook Express but I can't open these Jpeg photo attachments.  Any idea why and how I can open them. Windows XP  SP2  Dimension 8250  Sherr
I am using Verizon DSL. Sherr
To speed up browsing with Explorer 7 I periodically delete Temporary Internet Files. Does deleting History speed up browsing. Any other suggestions. Windows XP SP 2   1 GB RAM Sherr  
Has anyone had any experience with Explorer 8. It's advantages and problems. How does it compare to Chrome? Is Explorer 7 automatically updated to version 8 or must I download an update? Sherr
Does anyone have any input as to the advantages of Google's Chrome over Explorer. And then there is Firefox. And what happens to WORD and Excel. Chrome should be released today! Dimension 8250  W... See more...
Does anyone have any input as to the advantages of Google's Chrome over Explorer. And then there is Firefox. And what happens to WORD and Excel. Chrome should be released today! Dimension 8250  Windows XP  1GB RAM  Word  & Excel  Sherr   Message Edited by Sherr on 09-02-2008 01:56 PM
Has anyone experienced any problems installing SP3? Any problems running applications after installing SP3. A Google search highlights some difficulties. Is it necessary to  REMOVE SP2 before inst... See more...
Has anyone experienced any problems installing SP3? Any problems running applications after installing SP3. A Google search highlights some difficulties. Is it necessary to  REMOVE SP2 before installing SP3. Windows XP  SP2  Excel Word   Dimension 8250 Sherr
RE: Lotus Symphony   What are the features that you are referring to? Sherr
Does anyone have experience with Open Office FREE software? What are it's advantages. Dimension 8250  Windows XP  SP2  Microsoft Word    Microsoft Excel Sherr 
I'm happy wiyh SP2.  I'm happy with Windows XP. What does SP3 do for me?? Sherr
My PC is located in a remote upstairs location. I ran 35 feet of telephone wire for DSL. Now I want to go FIOS. But the FIOS cable is too thick for my 35 foot run. So I want to go wireless. But I ... See more...
My PC is located in a remote upstairs location. I ran 35 feet of telephone wire for DSL. Now I want to go FIOS. But the FIOS cable is too thick for my 35 foot run. So I want to go wireless. But I am concerned about the distance between the router and the PC and the number of walls and surfaces between the router and PC. Or must the router be located relatively close to the PC. I'm told that the maximum distance between a router and a PC is 8 feet. Then they still have to run a long cable from the FIOS box to the router which may be next to the PC..  Any guidance on this FIOS installation will be appreciated. Verizon isn't too helpful. What is the max distance and number of surfaces, Dimension 8250  Windows XP SP2 Sherr Message Edited by Sherr on 05-16-2008 03:27 PM
What is slipstream? Sherr
Has anyone installed Windows SP3. Any problems and is it really necessary if you have SP2. It takes 22 minutes according to Microsoft. And I run DSL. I installed SP2 from a CD that Microsoft sent ... See more...
Has anyone installed Windows SP3. Any problems and is it really necessary if you have SP2. It takes 22 minutes according to Microsoft. And I run DSL. I installed SP2 from a CD that Microsoft sent free. Is a CD available for SP3. Sherr
I looked at Message Rules. I didn't see anything that would screen NO SUBJECT messages. I tried to enter a new rule but encountered problems. How can I enter a new rule? thanks for the help. Sherr